Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I took DW golfing again

I took my happy delusional wife golfing yesterday. Even though it was the hottest day on record she did great. She got that look in her eye she gets right before she flips to delusional angry at hole 16. We we waiting for the group ahead of us and we were standing around bullshipping at the tee. In her reality she is always at work, so 3 guys standing around bullshipping was triggering her supervisory instincts. She was a little shaky through holes 17 and 18 but made it through with flying colors. Fed her when we got home and she took a good nap and was sweet and happy all day. It was kind of funny every time we would finish a hole and walk back to our carts my wife would say goodbye to every one as if we were leaving for the day. I can only imagine what her reality was that was superimposed onto the actual reality that was there. It was another great day and for that I am thankful to the universe.

Comments

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    What a wonderful day!  Even though it was hot, for me somehow just getting outside always seems to make everything better.  I'm glad you were able to do this with her.  Hold on to the memory of that day.  Those are the things that keep us going.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Bill,    I'm glad you could get out to your favorite thing and also have the wife with you.  Getting my wife to get out even for a car ride is pretty near impossible.  Not that she couldn't do it but won't. I'm going to try again this week when she is in a good mood.  Being cooped up in the house isn't good for her. Needs fresh air among other things. Sightseeing etc, Hope you get her out again soon. Hoot
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    The first time  I took her she went kicking and screaming until the outside/nature experience just overwhelmed her senses in a positive way. She went with me only because it was a choice between the caregiver or me. She loves the caregiver but she hates being "babysat". It's a trigger I've learned to avoid and I just bring her with me. That way if she doesn't behave she can always take the other choice. Kind of a carrot and stick approach. I always give her a choice so she feels involved. She is still very sensitive to being told what to do.  I have become her whole world and she will go anywhere with me. She gets really agitated if I am gone for any length of time. Lately even though she is delusional she is great company and fun to be around. It is her but a very impaired version of her. Like she is on a perpetual acid trip.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bill, I'm glad you had a good day. And I hope you keep having them.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Bill, I hope you live in Alaska and not California where it’s been a gazillion degrees this week! You put so much effort into finding ways of entertaining your wife and keeping her happy even through challenging times.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    She is so fortunate to have you Bill.
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Happy delusional is worth the time and effort to keep it going. Angry delusional is to be avoided at all costs. I appreciate the kind words but this really doesn't seem like work. It's my job and I'm going to have fun while I work and I think it's infectious to her. I'm in a good mood she is in a good mood. I missed a few shots yesterday and I was having a little tantrum and she picked up on that and started to get pissed too. I had to stop that right now and just be happy to be there. I actually play better if I am not pissed so everybody wins there. Considering what a lot of you are going through with your spouses I have it easy. And you all have my sympathy and empathy this is a kick to the gut like I have never experienced. Yes IMM I live in Orange County California we just got back from a ride in the car it is 109 degrees right now. I like the heat its good for my muscles and joints.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bill, 

Oh how I miss golf outings with DH.  On our very first anniversary (married in ‘68), we played golf and ate at the Dairy Queen.  How romantic; I still have the score card (did not break100).  DH used to say that I was good for the course; I did a lot of walking, aerating the fairway and greens with my spikes.  Now my grandson, at 14, has inherited his “pop’s” collection of nice golf shirts (not his clubs, he’s a lefty).  Keep taking your DH along; it’s good for both of you.  With the help of friends, DH went golfing for as long as he could.  Towards the end, it was harrowing at times, but always fun.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more