Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Pacing/I want to go home

Hi friends,

My dh constantly paces and says "I want to go home" all day long! I distract him by getting in the car and going for a drive but can't do that all day. He has been going to a wonderful day care program but is now closing and just so sad about that. I am going crazy with this behavior. 

He constantly says my name in this voice that is so sad. I haven't heard him laugh for at least six months. I do have a caregiver several times a week so I do get a break. The daycare program was five days a week so was just wonderful...although I had a drive each day it was worth it. I would say he is in late mid stage...diagnosed in 2015.

Btw...he has no interests...can't even sit still long enough...no tv interests etc. 

Any ideas??? 

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Does he not exhibit this pacing and "I want to go home" behavior at the day care?
  • Rob55
    Rob55 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    My wife does the exact same thing.  And I respond like you by driving her around. I wish I knew what to do.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    My husband is mid to late stage.  He paces around the dining room table mainly in the morning and for hours at a time.  He doesn't appear agitated but can't seem to find anything to occupy himself.  I bought some easy jigsaw puzzles (no more than 300 pieces) for us to do.  Usually, I start working on a puzzle and then he wants to join me. Once he gets absorbed in doing that I can normally go and do the things I need to do around the house.  Don't know if this will help anybody else, but this is what works for us.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Thank you for the replies! He does some pacing at the daycare but can be redirected. The Memory Spa , as it is called has had such a calming affect on him and always happy when I pick him up. The lease has doubled for the owner and this gem has to close down. 

I no longer bring him to a neurologist but our family doctor has been good. I am even thinking of hospice...MC is on my list and have visited a few. He is otherwise healthy. 

Dh used to love to work on puzzles but no longer can do. 

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Since the day care worked so well for him, could you find another day care for him?  Just a thought.  Also, could your doctor prescribe something to calm him?  My DH is on Seroquel and that has helped a lot to keep the agitation in check.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Will have to check out Seroquel. The Memory Spa was so unique and unlike a normal day care.  I am going to check out an Alzheimer center that did not work earlier for him but now that he has progressed may work out now. Thank you for your thoughts.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    That would be my first thought, too - finding a permanent placement that would be a good fit for him now. Given that he was able to be redirected in the day care program, it just seems to make sense. I really think the isolation from people other than me (as caregiver) was the basis of my DH's anxiety and agitation. The term "stir crazy" springs to mind. There's days when I just want to "go home," too - "home" being back to a time and place before dementia.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more