Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This is for newbies

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I am putting a little information here for newbies. This will help you understand what might be ahead, and where to look for more help/info. Others may post different links of interest. Come back to check for more.

First of all I'd like to share the names of two people who have youtube videos that should be very helpful. Teepa Snow is one who is an excellent teacher, who uses a lot of humor in teaching. The second is Natalie Edmonds (also search for careblazers). They both offer a lot of information that will be helpful in your caregiving.

If you are not familiar with the term "anosognosia", this video is for you. Why your loved one doesn't believe they have dementia- It's NOT denial. 

This link will help you understand dementia. https://www.alzconnected.org/uploadedFiles/understanding-the-dementia-experience.pdf  

Here is one concerning driving. Dementia and Driving - with Teepa Snow of Positive Approach to Care 

Here is one for stages. There are many others online. https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/  

Comments

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, that will be so helpful to people just receiving this devastating diagnosis. I went a year and a half until I found this online forum and then Teepa Snow. Truly wonderful. Then I went another year before I found Natali Edmonds. Life changing. The links you've provided are exactly what's needed when we're drowning in the unknown. Thanks for having the perspective to analyze what's needed and thoughtfulness to provide it. You may have a new career/hobby looming!
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Great information.  Thank you!
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Great list Mayor Ed. 

This bit was useful for me as well.

National Elder Law Foundation (nelf.org)

HB
  • Julie RN 1010
    Julie RN 1010 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    Hi Ed, thank you so much for this information. I am a newbie you are helping today!! DH diagnosed 1 year ago. I have been searching for support and feel I have found it with this alzconnected. Bless you all!!
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Thanks Ed, This isn't only for the newbies I'm glad I read about the stages again. Wife is in the last of stage 6.
  • Annen1014
    Annen1014 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments
    Very valuable information, much appreciated. My husband was diagnosed a year ago. For a variety of reasons  the neuropsychologist neuropsychologist told us we could expect the progression to be slow. I don't know what slow looks like. I see changes but I don't have a good basis for comparison, even though I was responsible for both my mother and my aunt who both had dementia. I took care of their finances, took them to the beauty salon   and out for lunch, but I hired home help while I was still working and moved  them to an assisted living facility. for their last years. I don't yet worry when my DH takes his morning walk that he won't find the way home. He willingly, albeit sadly, agreed to quit driving. He wants to feel helpful and useful, so he takes responsibility for kitchen clean up after I prepare dinner. When I am ready to cook the next time, I have to go on a treasure hunt to see where various utensils have been put and often find that they are not really clean. Those are minor annoyances that I choose to treat with humor most of the time. I see so many people who have so  much more difficult lives than mine, but I want to be realistic about my expectations for the future. Thank you for always sharing such wisdom.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Thanks Ed.  DH is definitely in stage 5.  I appreciate you providing us with this info.  It's very helpful.
  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you Ed!
  • bigfoot2you
    bigfoot2you Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I just  read the last link you provided and DH is definitely late stage 6/ stage 7.  He is giving me a really hard time today.   This am we went to Walmart.  He had been his normal all day.  I left the key in  the truck so he would have access to the windows and radio.  I reminded him NOT to mess with the truck.   I come out,  truck is gone...........called the police but we found him before they did............I learned a valuable lesson...........tonight he has absolutely no memory of taking off in the truck........it has been non-stop  gotta go home,  see mother.............I guess the time for placement has come.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks for posting, Ed.  I always advise new members to read the online reading material, there is so much valuable basic information. 

Iris

• Luciagh1
    Luciagh1 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Thanks Ed!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia