Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I visited a MC yesterday

Yesterday I drove to a small town about ten miles away and visited a care facility that offers Alzheimer's care.  A very dear friend of mine who had Alzheimer's resided there the last two years of her life and her family was very pleased with her care.  My daughter and a close friend went with me.  I had prepared a list of questions ahead of time and the director answered all of them to my satisfaction.  First of all, the overall appearance of the facility was very favorable.  It was clean and smelled fresh.  The staff has specialized training that is ongoing.  And when we entered the unit, the residents were engaged in a virtual scavenger hunt with one of the staff...using a Wii.  That pleased me.  The cost is $212 a day which averages out to about $6325 a month.  That cost is all inclusive.  Each room comes with a bed, TV hooked up to Direct TV, and a nightstand.  Bottom line, I felt a peace as I toured the unit and after leaving, I felt a relief.  I now know a nice place where I can take DH if the need arises.  DH is progressing and I know that I have to be prepared.  An added bonus would be that his sister lives only a couple of blocks from the facility.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Brenda, sounds like it went well and I'm glad.  Probably makes sense to see at least one other so you have a basis for comparison?  But a great start.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    It sounds like you did all your homework. Must be comforting to know you have found a good place when the time comes. Happy for you! I know I’ve got to do the same thing. Just so hard to know that’s what is coming. Take care.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Brenda, that sounds great! Do they have a waiting list? You should get your name on it ASAP if they have one. Don't wait until a crisis hits, then not have it available.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Thanks, M1.  I had visited the only Memory Care in St. Joseph early this year and was not impressed.  It was a plush facility and private pay only.  They did not hand feed or lift so a resident would not be able to stay if they eventually needed those things.  Also, their staff did not receive any specialized training.  The only other MC facilities would be an hour or two away.  Our area really needs more care options.  Again, thank you.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda,

If you’re like me, just having a potential solution to placement in my back pocket was a breath of fresh air.  I had visited several facilities, from AL with memory wings to SNF’s and everything in between.  The stand alone MCF where DH was eventually placed grabbed me from the start.  It was not the most lavish, nor was it teeming with activity.  It was like home; cozy and quiet, music in the background, staff engaged with residents, and activities scheduled in which residents participated, or didn’t as preferred. Prior to placement,  I visited several times, accompanied by different folks, called the director at least 10 times, and attended their caregiver programs (one live with Teepa Snow).  DH has been there for 10 months and I have never looked back.  I visit once a week and it’s like going to someone’s home.  I leave, content and happy, for both of us. 

I know you have to be experiencing some sense of peace, having taken these first steps.  Best of luck going forward.  Stay strong; you can do this. 

• Colt99
    Colt99 Member Posts: 25
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Hi White Crane

Sounds like you have found a good facility. I am searching now as well.  Would you mind sharing your list of questions you prepared?

Thanks

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    White Crane, please share your list of questions.  I've just started looking online at local MC facilities.  I may have found a nice one but don't know what questions to ask.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I am happy to share my list. And others who have already placed their loved ones may have additional items to add. The first thing I asked was if the staff has specialized training.  What is the staff to patient ratio? Do they accept  Medicaid? Do they hand feed if necessary? Do they lift if necessary? What is the cost? What is included and not included in the cost? What activities do they offer for the residents?  Is there a fenced in courtyard so residents can go outside occasionally? How many nurses are on duty and when? Is there a doctor on site?  Do the rooms come with any furnishings? Is there a private bathroom in each room? Is there a waiting list?  Do they provide transportation for doctors appointments?

That is my list. I hope this helps. Maybe others with more experience will have some other questions that need to be asked. Hugs.

Brenda 

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    White Crane, if your DH became aggressive or combative, do they have a plan to handle his behavior? (Or that of any other resident who became aggressive?)

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more