Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Quitiapine

Has anyone had bad reactions to Quitiapine (Anger and Agressiveness) My DW has bee on 100 mg three times a day for several months but the last couple of weeks the agressive behavior has increased dramatically.

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    My DH was given the lowest dose of quetiapine early on during his hospital stay, and it worked for maybe 2 months but eventually it stopped helping. I think it just depends on the right dosage and what stage the PWD is at. I know from this forum and other discussion boards that quetiapine is a lifesaver, given the right dosage and perhaps in combination with another medication. Interestingly, when I read the side effects of these meds, they often include the very symptoms they're attempting to treat. Go figure.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Hi Jack.  My DH takes 100mg twice a day.  I haven't noticed any aggressive behavior.  The only thing I've noticed is that we've increased the dosage 3 times and it seems his body acclimates to the increase after a few weeks.  Maybe it's something that needs to be discussed with her neurologist.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Jack, people can certainly have adverse reactions to any of the antipsychotics--but if it were drug related, I would think it would have happened sooner.  It would be unusual for her to tolerate the drug at this dose for several months and then all of a sudden start to have a problem with it.  You may want to think about other triggers, are there other meds that have changed?  Could she have a UTI (always high on everyone's list to look for when behavior changes)?
  • towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Anytime there is a sudden behavior change it is a good idea to check for medical causes. Things that in younger people would not cause a problem can create very noticeable changes in the elderly with dementia.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Jack, everyone seems to react differently to these drugs, but most people who’ve posted about them here seem to have very good results, at least for a while. My husband was on it for about a month and it worked well initially but then had to be raised. A doctor in ER switched him to Risperidone that worked better for him. He was never aggressive, but had a lots of agitation and repetitive behaviors. I would contact the doctor who prescribed it and see if the dosage can be increased or if another medication would work better. It’s also good for them to look at possible interactions with any other meds he is taking.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more