Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Parroting?

I still don’t know where we are in this journey…

Something that has been going on for at least a year is that my husband will say something as if it was his idea when it was actually something that was said to him a few minutes before. He just doesn’t remember. 

Case in point: We just put in a fire pit patio. There is a branch that is hanging over it. I said to him, while we we standing under it, that the branch had to come down. He asked “back to where?” I showed him. He asked if I wanted him to do it right then and I said, “No.” Ten minutes later, he said to me, “That branch will have to come down.” I told him that we had just talked about that. He said he didn’t remember. 

He is aware of his memory issues. I am also honest with him about what I am seeing. I told him about the parroting as just an observation. He said it is possible. I asked him if he felt he is getting worse. He didn’t really have an answer, but said that he is trying to find ways to help himself remember, but said he is about 50% successful.

Has anyone else seen this type of parroting behavior?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Yes. Several times my wife would repeat something I said. For instance, she might be walking towards the bathroom, and I would ask her if she were going to the bathroom. She would say "No, I'm going to the bathroom". I don't think it's uncommon at all.
  • nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi Care4mom2,

My DH does the very same thing. It used to bother me, but now I just say that I just said that and he replies ok. 

Everything takes time for us to adjust to with spouses.  

I wish you well through this extremely difficult journey.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Yes, my DH did a lot of that. He’d also *do* whatever  he saw me doing (if he could), 5 minutes later.  He was an extreme  “copycat.”  

But I didn’t tell him I just said or did that. Telling him just made him angry (he would not admit forgetting) and didn’t change anything. It’s not like he was going to remember to not do it. I’d just say OK, or how about that…it usually didn’t matter anyway, except as a sad reminder of his disease.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oh yes indeed, I think this is a pretty common phenomenon.  I'm a bit surprised you can talk to him about it without him getting defensive or upset, that was never the case here.  I would suspect at some point that there won't be a purpose to telling him about it., because he's not doing in on purpose, and likely can't change it.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    My DH does this too.  In the beginning I would explain to him what he was doing.  But I soon realized that he was going to keep doing it and couldn't help it.  So now, I just acknowledge what he says and everybody's happy.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    We’re in that stage as well, and it’s so hard for me to remember that I shouldn’t comment on it or ask “Don’t you remember…,” which just embarrasses him.  He can talk about his memory loss but it makes him sad and he can’t do anything about it, so I try not to bring it up.  I guess I’ll have plenty of time to learn to just agree.
  • RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My wife and I are basically an Abbot and Costello routine at this point.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary

DH used to parrot quite a bit at least a year ago. It's gradually subsiding. I ignored it because I thought he was trying to annoy me, so I just said nothing.  In retrospect he probably started dementia behavior way before he was diagnosed or even went for cognitive testing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more