Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

M1 again

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
The last time I remember you visiting your wife was on Sep. 2. Just wondering if you have been back since then, and if so, how did it go?

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed I think M1 was going to see his wife Friday.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am glad he has been able to visit. I would be a basket case. A week out because of covid seemed like forever. I guess now I understand now when he would say it seemed like forever and I thought the time flew by. 2 months would be a lifetime
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    well I am so happy to have good things to report, finally:  I just got back from my fifth visit in two weeks (Tuesday and Friday, twice) and today her great nephew, who is 29, drove three hours to go with me.  She was thrilled to death to see him, and all five visits have been  successful--staying over a hour (today nearly two).  I've taken lunch on Tuesdays and have gone early after lunch on Fridays, as we did today--I made a pumpkin pie this morning and took it with us, so that was a good post-lunch dessert.

So things seem to have definitely turned a corner, that she is glad to see me each time. I'm not sure she remembers any of the visits--each time she says she's ready to leave and come be with me--but clearly has no memory of the farm at all, asks where I'm living, is there room for her there.  What's worked (so far, and I will continue to use it as long as I can) is to remind her that she was sicker than she realized, that the doctors and nurses weren't ready to release her yet, and she just got out of quarantine.  She accepts this, though she comes back to it continually, but what is different now is that she will actually relax, enjoy the visit, and talk about other things.  Today with her nephew there--she is currently supporting him to attend community college in a three-year program--what worked was to talk about her college days, although interestingly, I am the one who had to tell the stories, she remembers them when she hears them, but she can't bring them up herself like she once would have.  Friday when I went, we talked about Queen Elizabeth and the British monarchy--she clearly enjoyed it, but she also asked at one point if Queen Victoria was still alive.

So I hope the "for now" routine will continue to be Tuesday and Friday visits.  It pretty much fills the day, and I don't think I could manage more often, really--it's at least a 45-minute drive each way.  But maybe, maybe, it will be a new normal for a little while.  March to September was a long, long spell that was pretty bleak.

Thanks for asking, guys.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Oh M1 thank you for sharing! I know your heart has to be feeling just a little better. That she can enjoy your visit and can laugh and tell you she loves you!  So much more than you’ve had in such a long time. Happy for both of you! 

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Great news M1!   Hopefully it continues.  Maybe after a few more weeks, she will quit asking to go ‘home’ as often.   I don’t know where you live. If it gets cold in the  winter, start emphasizing how great it is that everything she needs is all right there.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    That’s so wonderful to hear! I’m glad the drought is over, and she can just enjoy at least some part of the visit. It sounds like soon you will be following in Crushed”s footsteps and regularly bringing home baked treats. Good for You M1
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I can't tell you how good I feel about reading your post. You have definitely turned a corner. I'm thrilled!
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    That’s really terrific news, M1.  So glad things are so improved.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

M1, I am so very happy for you in that the visits have finally begun to turn around; what a delight after such a difficult time.

Great idea the conversation springboards, she must really enjoy them in the moment.  Here's cheering for more really good visits and really good pies!

J.

• saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    So glad for you the visits are positive.  It was a pleasure to read your post.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    It sounds like you both are on a winning streak. May it never end.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Fantastic!  I'm so happy for you M1.  The pumpkin pie is a terrific idea.  You're making me hungry, and I just might need to make one.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1, This is a great development. I very happy to hear that you can finally visit and spend some time with your partner.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    M1 I am so happy you can feel the embrace of your wife.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes this is definitely an improvement.  Went today for lunch.  She clearly did not remember my being there with her nephew two days ago, and for the first time today, she couldn't identify her sisters either by name or by relationship--asked who their parents were.  So things are continuing to slip, unsurprisingly.  I wonder about the recent covid infection and whether/how this is related. Kind of a moot point, but I still wonder.  I got my omicron booster today and boy is my arm sore--that was today's reason for ending the visit.  I am grateful for this new normal, while it lasts.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    The facility my husband is in mentioned that the residents who developed Covid seemed to have worse cognition after it was over. My husband has never mentioned going home. He goes for a bus trip every week but I haven’t taken him out for rides. I brought him a milkshake and 10 minutes later I asked him if he enjoyed it he had no idea what I was talking about. How much effort should one put into having them enjoy something when all knowledge of said activity is gone within 10 minutes. I never really thought about this being an issue but it does make me feel guilty for not doing more. M1 I am glad that you can now visit with your wife. Do you have trouble filling the hour with things to talk about? I don’t want to mention our dog or our home so the conversation is hard.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    M1, this news has absolutely made my week! I'm very happy for you both! I hope & pray it continues!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I just read your second post about her memory slipping. I am sorry to hear that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more