Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH in rehab

DH spent six days in the hospital with A Fib, congestive heart failure, UTI and pneumonia. Yesterday afternoon he was moved to a SNIF  which happens to be where our daughter was an aid some 40  years ago when she was in nursing school. DH is very upset at being in the facility, says he is being held a prisoner and tried to leave last night. I was surprised he was able to get out of bed and walk to the slider door to the patio/garden off his room. He is very weak. and also has orthostatic hypotension. He's on a whole lot of new meds for the A Fib and CHF and a mouth wash that I think affects his taste buds and make him nauseous.  He says food tastes awful. I spent nearly four hours with him today and he barely ate or drank anything. What he did eat and drink was because I spoon fed him. He's there for PT rehab so he can get strong enough to return home.  I trust he will get the PT and OT daily. So far he's been compliant in doing what is asked of him for therapy. Though he was worried the PT this afternoon would cut into the football game on TV.   I am really concerned about his getting the food and liquid he needs. He wasn't eating in the hospital either, but there the doctor was aware of it. I'm not so sure the nurses at rehab are. I will try bringing him some food from home or take out which I am allowed to do though at this point I don't know if that will make much difference. This post are my just sort of thinking  things through.  Suggestions would be appreciated and helpful.

Comments

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Saltom, if it were me, I would speak to the nurses and let them know he's not eating or drinking much.  They should already know.  But, just in case they don't it wouldn't hurt to bring it to their attention.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Saltom, how about ice cream? When my DH wouldn’t eat much else, he still liked ice cream. Or cake. It also worked well as a bribe to get him to eat other foods. “The ice cream is for desert, you have to eat this —- first.”  Hopefully the staff will watch him more closely. With orthostatic hypotension there is always the danger of fainting and falling.
    Good luck with the eating!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Second the ice cream suggestion.  When my LO is ill she will eat a vanilla milkshake when nothing else appeals.  Lots of calories....
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Thanks for the suggestions. He is on a heart healthy diet and I don't think there is enough salt on the food for him. He was brought some ice cream but it was fat free, sugar free and didn't have much taste. Evidently the mouth wash was not given him as it just arrived at the facility today and I asked he not have it. I did express my concerns to the nurse today and they will watch more closely.  Even the food I have brought from home seems tasteless to him.  He also got out of bed by himself again tonight and told the nurse he wanted to go home. Fortunately he did not fall. I spoke to him by phone and he seemed to understand he needs to get stronger for me to be able to care for him at home.  But then he told me he was going home with me when I see him tomorrow. He can't manage the TV remote by himself and feels sort of at loose ends at night time. I took a paperback about strange history to him and read some of it to him this afternoon. I suggested he read that tonight.  Just keeping my fingers crossed the therapy works and he get enough strength and mobility to come home relatively soon.  He still  has his sense of humor when talking with the staff.   That's a plus.  Thank you everyone for just listening.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more