Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Ok to sign legal documents?

We are planning to sell our house and downsize. I was speaking with the real estate agent and told her of my husband‘s diagnosis of early ALZ. She has not been around her m much, and was asking if he was mentally competent to sign legal documents. He is pretty self-sufficient right now. Do I need to do anything in order to allow him to sign all the documents? I called the neurologist today and his office said that a psychiatrist does such an evaluation. But he doesn’t seem to need something like that right now.. We have our legal documents in order I believe. I have power of attorney etc. etc. Anyone else have experience with this?

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

If he can understand what is happening and sign his name, he's ok to sign. If there is likely to anyone trying to second guess or undermine the transaction you might consider getting some sort of expert opinion, but if it's just a couple managing their lives he should be able to sign.

You should get durable POA ASAP anyway, because it's a limited time offer.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    My DH signed legal documents at our lawyer's office when he was first diagnosed.  His signature wasn't great, but she said it was fine.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    caberr wrote:
    My DH signed legal documents at our lawyer's office when he was first diagnosed.  His signature wasn't great, but she said it was fine.

He can sign and you can use the power of attorney to sign at the same time to avoid any questions

the neurologist is actually wrong  Lawyers not psychiatrists assess  legal competence

it's a legal determination

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney