Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A trip to the ER

A tough day, after a not-great evening. 
Last night, DW required an hour-long clean-up after the most massive bowel movement accident we’ve ever experienced.  A mess everywhere, and after getting her clean (fortunately, she did not resist—how we look for bright spots!), the bathroom needed a thorough cleaning and laundry needed to be done….those of you who know, know.
Only a prelude to this morning.  As I was getting ready to shower, I heard a crash and I instantly knew.  My DW had, somehow, fallen out of bed.   And on her way down, she hit her head on the nightstand.  Head wounds can bleed a lot, and this one did.   Fortunately, she did not lose consciousness.  
Not knowing if she was otherwise injured, I didn’t want to pick her up off the floor, or move her.  Called 911 and the EMTs were great.  Brought in a lift chair to get her downstairs, and then off to the ER.  It was pretty quiet in the ER in the early morning and DW was seen by the doctor fairly quickly.  He ordered a CAT scan and x-rays, which took a while to get done, and then it took a while to get the scan read.  But the eventual good news was nothing broken, nothing else injured.  The head wound was closed with six staples.  
DW was, at times, pretty agitated and quite frightened.  Yelled more from fear than pain, more  than a couple of times as the nursing staff were cleaning her up, changing her Depends, and so on.   I was allowed to be with her the whole time—just told everyone I encountered that she has advanced dementia, and that was sufficient.  
Five hours later, we were home again, exhausted and played out.  Wiped up the pool of blood on the bedroom floor and carpet.  Then I went outside and sat on the porch to just take in the river and exhale.
Now it’s on to looking into guard rails to keep DW safe in bed.  The challenges never end.

Comments

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Glad she is ok,  good thinking on not moving her.   I tried to reply earlier forum had troubles   Hoot
  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Man Jeff that was a tough day. Good to hear there was nothing broken. Hang in there and try to get some rest. I know that's easier said than done. Your right on how we look for the bright spots. Sometimes there hard to see when we're focused on the moment. Hope you have a better day.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff sure glad everything checked out okay. Six staples, something else to take care of. Hope the rest of your day is smooth and you both can get some rest. 

It must be relaxing to just step outside side and enjoy the site of a river! Sounds like a little bit of heaven! 

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Jeff,

Boy, you and DW have had an exhausting time.  We never know what's going to happen every day, or even every hour.  And you are amazing, just going onward, looking into guard rails to keep her safe.  And now the wound to take care of, too.  Bless you, and  I hope you have some peace, and light moments today (and every day).

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jeff, Glad there was no serious injuries from the fall but just the trip to the ER can be traumatic for the PWD. I hope things calm down in the coming days to give you a chance to breathe. Hang in there.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jeff, I fully understand. It wasn't that long ago that my wife fell, hit her head on a chair or table, and was unconscious for about 5 minutes. No blood, but a black eye and bruises next to her temple. Then an ambulance ride to the ER.

I'm glad your wife was cleared. Mine was too, but something like that sure takes everything you've got out of you. Hang in there, friend. We just never know what's around the next corner.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Jeff, thank goodness for the restorative power (I hope) of that river view.  I'm sure you needed it.  So sorry.  What a day, is an understatement.  Let us know how she does--and you, too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more