Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

One month in MC, just to update

Hi there,

DH has been in memory care one month.  He is adjusting pretty well.  Everyone says hi to him, and he smiles and says hi back, though he will sometimes laugh and comment that "there are some screwballs here".  He does not remember much these days, when I go see him if he's just finished lunch he will say he didn't have lunch.  But his caregiver is right there and says yes he did...that's not a big deal, but it's where he's at these days.  I see him just about every day because I live so close.  The tough part is leaving.  He gets mad when I say I will be back and says, you never do....(though I'm back the next day).  Doesn't much matter how I phrase it or if the caregivers get him into an activity, I get the look.  But, though I feel bad, he forgets.  Sometimes, he starts saying, when am I getting out of this place, what's going on, and so on.  That's a little tricky and I use the recommended responses, which don't always work - so, if anyone else is dealing with this, I know what you mean!  I am so lucky to have him in a safe place, where they are equipped to deal with the changes he will continue to go through.  that's all, just wanted to update.  As of 1 month, MC was the best choice, no doubt.

Comments

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    It sounds like you have your DH in a good environment.  I'm so happy for you and him.  Now it's time to get on with your life.  I'll be praying for you!!
  • clndaniels
    clndaniels Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    I am so glad your DH is adjusting to MC. I am arranging for my DH to go to MC in the near future and it is good to hear some of your experiences. I am really dreading the initial adjustment even though I know it will be better for him and me.  He has become belligerent and stubborn and am in the process of trying to get meds adjusted so he is more cooperative.  All caregivers are in my prayers daily.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Wow sligo I could have written parts of you post. My dw is 3 weeks today.  The screwball thing is funny my wife said that to the nurse today. The nurse just laughed
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sligo, glad to hear it is going well for you and your husband. MC seems to be the right choice. Best of luck.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more