Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Medicare drug plans

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
My DH doesn’t not have a Medicare drug plan, I know we will have to pay a penalty to get one. Right now, he is only on Arecept. Does anyone know which drug plans are best as we get further into the disease and he will need other meds?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

There’s no need to worry about down the line.  The drug plan ( Medicare part d) can be changed every fall during open enrollment.   You can go to Medicare.gov, enter the appropriate information as a guest and select search drug plans -  state, current drugs, preferred pharmacies.  Select lowest premium and drug cost. Then  just pick the first one that meets your needs  

We went through an insurance agent inn person to actually apply, but you can do so over the internet if you choose  

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Until you get a plan, and even after, you may want to try GoodRx or another discount app.

I understand that they can help considerably with the price...but you may have to deal with someone other than your usual pharmacy.

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Definitely consider GoodRx for discounted prescriptions. We've often been able to get them cheaper paying out of pocket than paying the insurance co-pays. The only time this isn't a good option is for folks living in very small towns with few pharmacy options nearby. If you live within driving distance of big box stores like Walmart, Costco, or major pharmacy chains like CVS, RiteAid, or Walgreen's, you can likely do just as well without the Part D drug plan.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    My husband has Aetna for his Medicare Part D.  But I've found that Good RX is cheaper.  You go to their website and type in the prescription name and the pharmacy you use.  They give you the approximate price and the code to use with the pharmacy.  You can also see if other pharmacies have it cheaper.  His prescription for Namenda would have been $293.00 with his Medicare Part D plan.  With Good RX was $23.00.  Big Difference.
  • Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    DW's Quetiapine was over $200 for 90 days with her part D. With Goodrx it was $12 for 90 days. How is this right?  Also look into the Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Company.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife and I never had Part D. I use Costco for almost all medications (with Good RX), but I actually found that Walgreen's works with another card like Good RX, but don't remember the name. I was able to get a prescription from Walgreen's about $40.00 cheaper than Costco could get it for me. I was really surprised, but it just shows you that you should check, even though you are pretty sure you're dealing with the right place for a particular prescription.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more