Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Engagement

My 28 year old son asked his girlfriend to marry him last night. It was done at the beach at sunset, with her family watching. The pictures are beautiful. 

We are all excited. We couldn’t have done this last year.  My husband (58)went on hospice at home last August we spent the whole year on stand by just waiting for him to pass , so we could all get on with our lives. We grieved a lot as he declined ,and we lost most of the parts of him that matter. We waited and waited. 

But when May came I told the kids that  we have to do something differently now. We have to go back to living now and work it around my husbands sickness. I encouraged the kids to take a vacation. One went to Iceland and one to NYC. I encouraged my son to propose if he wanted to. 

Not sure how this is all going to work out but we are just going to take it one day at a time.  

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Such happy news, congratulations! We can't put all of life on hold, im glad you've taken those steps.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am so glad your family continues to have wonderful moments, as it should be. Congratulations!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm glad you're recovering your life. That's so important. Good for you!
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    That is some good news and even cheered me up. Hoot
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Congratulations to your son and his fiancee!  (DH and I became engaged in August, 1967, on the beach, but closer to midnight.) There is no place like the beach at sunset.  And I am happy for you that you are starting to enjoy life again, albeit with heartache.  I am at the ‘shore, alone, with DH in MC since November.  For the past several years, I could only walk DH to the beach in the evening when it was cooler and close to sunset.  We would sit on a bench and watch the people coming off the beach; sometimes I would chat with them.  Last evening, I was sitting on the bench and a gentleman who is a regular and who knows our situation, came off the beach as usual.  He said, “I miss seeing your buddy.”  It broke my heart.  Carry on; one day at a time.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Congratulations!!  That's great news.  You've cheered me up considerably.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Congratulations, BB, yes life does have to go on doesn't it. That is a good thing for me to hear. Thanks
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy news....thank you for sharing it.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks everyone. I think it will work out because the wedding venues are all backed up because of Covid. So it will be a while. 

If someone tells me how to load a picture I’ll post one. 

Beach fan, I can just picture you sitting on that bench at the beach. A beautiful view with a little heartache mixed in.  But at least you still go and enjoy it. 

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    So exciting! Knowing your family is getting on with life is a beautiful thing. The beach at sunset is so romantic. Thank you for sharing and like others have shared your happy news has been a joy for me too. Keep enjoying your family, that’s what your husband would want for all of you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more