Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

drug interaction

jfkoc
jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
Saw you post re drug interactions....I have used and recommended drug.com. Is it at least close to the source you  have? Is there one closer we can use online? Would a phamacist be able to help with possible interactions? It was my pharmacist who alerted me to possible problems with a med script before she would fill it.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes jfkoc, drugs.com is not bad at all.  Lexicomp is just a bit more comprehensive.  And yes, this is where pharmacists can be a big help, for sure, because they also have access to these professional search engines.  I have multiple pharmacists in the family--it's a real problem these days that at least in the retail settings, they are so overwhelmed with vaccine adminstration that they hardly have time for supervising dispensation, much less patient counselling.

This is off-topic:  I am not a big fan of electronic medical records (and believe me, I see a ton)--most of them are garbage in, garbage out, and it's very hard to tell what really went on in a patient visit.  A lot of the important stuff, you don't even write down;  if I had a sensitive conversation with someone, I'd just write "long talk"--and that was my clue to myself to remember what it was about.  In computerized records, I'll see quadriplegics described as having a normal neurological exam, because all they have time to do is push the button that spits out a normal phsyical exam.  But computerization of the research tools and publications is what has really transformed medicine.  Back in the day, we would all photocopy articles we wanted to keep, and index them according to the tables of contents of our textbooks.  Dinosaur stuff compared to now.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The pharmacist called me today to warn about a drug interaction with a medication I have been taking for the past two months.  I don't know why this interaction wasn't caught earlier.  We cannot totally rely on professionals.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

More electroic OFF Topic.

Dick fell hitting his head. 911 arrived and asked about meds. I gave them an up to date list. They then wanted to see the bottles to verify.

We got to the ER when they asked about meds. I told them the 911 people had the list. I then found the 911 person I had given the list to. He assured me that he had turned it over upon arrival.

It was found and typed in.

Dick was admitted and when we arrived at his room they asked about the meds. I told them that they were put into the computer in the ER. Some how they did not show up.

This has happened to me too. I take all of the bottles and hand them over one by one to have them recorded. When looking atmy meds on "My Chart" they are not all there.

Bless you for writing "long talk".

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney