Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Switching from Exelon patch 4.6 mg to tablets

Has anyone experienced skin irritation due to the patch. LO will be switching to Exelon tablets soon. Any feedback on switching to Exelon 1.5 mg tablets twice a day from patch of 4.6 mg?

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Lots of people are allergic to the adhesive that's on transdermal patches, I am one of them.  

To make things simpler for yourself - how much benefit do you really think he's getting from that drug?  Nothing is going to stop the progression.  If you feel it isn't really helping or you can't tell whether it's helping, you could actually eliminate it.

My personal feeling is that doctors have put fear into people and they'll always say "oh well you may see deterioration if you stop it."  Frankly, I have never seen someone come on here and claim their LO was better or more functional on that drug.  More often, people can't tell the difference.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

LO could not tolerate the higher dose patch or 2 meds on the market for AD. I wonder if the tablets would be effective or have side effects? I may decide not to give him any meds later. 

I wonder why the manufacturer can’t use a different glue on the Exelon patch, I hear from lot of users having a rash after using the patch.

I wonder why different companies haven’t come up with more patch treatments?

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    I get a skin rash just from a waterproof band-aid. As for Exelon/rivastigmine, I can't tell for sure if it's helping or not since it's combined with Ativan. But the combination stopped DH's severe sundowning. Dosage is 3.5mg morning and evening. We tried increasing per doctor's order, but it made him more agitated, so back to 3.5mg 2x.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more