Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Xyprexa?

My husband’s doctor is switching him from Seroquel (somewhat effective) to Xyprexa for a trial. Any experience with this? I did a search for Xyprexa on this site and did not get a result.

Thanks!

Comments

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 840
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Spelling is Zyprexa.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Lynn—maybe just a spelling issue—the drug is Zyprexa.   The generic is olanzapine.   Pretty commonly prescribed for AD patients even though it is not approved for dementia related psychoses.

My DW took olanzapine for a couple of years, to manage anxiety and delusions.  It seemed to work reasonably well.   The neurologist took her off olanzapine when DW was experiencing mobility issues and loss of appetite—the neurologist felt these could be long term side effects from the drug.

As with all meds for AD, each patient’s response and side effect experience may be unique.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My dw has been on olanzapine, zyprexa generic for 2 months. She has had a few side effects. Her legs are swelling, but that started when they increased her noon dose. She is almost not able to get out of a chair, but her appetite if anything has increased, that maybe progression? She still feels full but asks about eating again in an 1hr or 2. It has taken alot of her anxiety away and her delusions. She currently is taking 7.5 mg 3 times a day and from what I read that is above the max dose.i could be wrong, but I read that on several drug sites. The mobility issue and her legs swelling are of some concern to me. This is our limited experience, and I think a dose adjustment will be happening, maybe to less in the morning?

Hope it works well for you Lynne.

Jeff I am wondering, what did your wife switch too. And the mobility thing is apparent in my wife.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lynne, my dh has been on it for over 3 years and no side effects. It helps a lot with his anxiety and depression. Hope it helps dh.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    It was called vaincor, but olanzapine was what my partner was prescribed after quetiapine. It worked well during 2 months and I still don’t know why the neurologist thought it wasn’t bared and put him on risperdal.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    TBE, my DW’s neurologist increased the dosage of the anti-depressant she had also been taking (Lexapro—generic escitalopram).  And the mobility and appetite issues did improve, for a time, when Zyprexa/olanzapine was discontinued.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Quetiapine (Seroquel) and Escitalopram (Lexapro) worked while DH was in the hospital. But they seemed to have stopped working the moment Lorazepam (Ativan) was weaned off after discharge. DH then suffered (and I suffered along with him) severe sundowning late April/early May, and got prescribed Rivastigmine with Lorazepam starting the latter part of May. The combo eliminated his sundowning so he's been able to sleep through the night (and so can I). But his confusion and mood swings during the day is becoming more severe, which is a concern we're figuring out at the moment.

During his sundowning, he was prescribed Olanzapine/Zyprexa among a few others such as Paroxetine (Paxil), Haldol and Gabapentin, to no avail. I have amassed quite a load of unused meds during this trial and error.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My dw saw the doctor yesterday from the facility she is at and I made sure I was there. He noted my wife health other than Alzheimers. Is good, her BP was 121 over 72. But her legs are swelling pretty bad.The doctor  made a comment to the nurse when he examined them. They are a 2 to 3? I should have asked what that meant. He did attribute the swelling since she never had this to the zyprexa. He lowered her dose from 7.5 3 x a day to 5 3x a day. With a 5mg dose if needed. That was what the Head nurse had said an hour before. I hope her mobility improves as well as her leg swelling I will let you know.

On a side note the good doctor just had to explain why dw was in the mc. He said your heatlh is great but your having some memory problems. The good thing is she isn't gonna remember that. I was cringing as he spoke. 

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi Lynne, How is he doing on the Zyprexa? I hope it's helping and giving him relief. 

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Lynn,

I am wondering the same thing about your husband and Zyprexa. My husband is on a very low dose 2.5 mg and I sometimes wonder if if is working or making him more agitated. He takes it in the morning and if needed during the day. I have not given it to him during the day as he is at a memory day care during the day. Unfortunately, it is closing as of today. A gem for sure...the owner can no longer afford the rent which has doubled. Trying to figure out my next step. 

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276

Thanks, all, for the responses. He started 5mg once per day on Sunday. Last night was the second one since then that he was up five times, in which time he took off his soiled undergarment (which he had refused to change all day,) speared poop all over, peed on the stairs, and went outside in just his shirt and socks (among other things).

Today I added a morning dose of Zyprexa and moved the Halidol to a more reachable spot.

Thank goodness we have a bath aid coming this afternoon, after which I will sanitize his room and launder the bed linens.

The nurse said that these are the only tools available to me now. Not a peep from the social who is to be looking at placement options. Not surprised.

I believe that because was a toxic narcissist before having an aneurysm, he feels he can abuse me. He does not give the bath aid or nurse problems. A dear poster on this site recommended I assume the role of caregiver and abandon that of spouse. I have started what they call the Gray Rock method of cutting off his narcissistic supply. Time will tell if it works. He is in the process of doing what he can to get attention from me. Of all things to endure dementia, why do these narcissistic tendencies remain? This is not a “it’s the disease, not the person” situation. This is his core being, and I feel the life nearly crushed out of me by him. The end of this cannot come soon enough.

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Oh I’m so sorry Lynn.  I can’t imagine caring for someone who treated you so badly in the past.  As you bow out of the role of wife, can you also bow out of the caregiver role?
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Egads, Lynne! How did you manage to be the Gray Rock when he's wrecked the bathroom, peed on the stairs, and paraded around outside with no scivvies? That's what I would call "upping the ante" to try to get a reaction from you. Narcissists do love the drama and the control they feel in winding us up. Perhaps a daily phone call to the social worker - a bloody awful squeaky wheel might be do the trick?
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276

Hi Mary,

He has alienated his daughters, his parents are passed, and his sister has her own life in another state. I would love to bow out of the caregiver role as well, but I think that is called abandonment. 

I am hoping we can stay ahead of these behaviors with medication. It seems the only option right now.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Lynne D wrote:
    I believe that because was a toxic narcissist before having an aneurysm, he feels he can abuse me. He does not give the bath aid or nurse problems. A dear poster on this site recommended I assume the role of caregiver and abandon that of spouse. I have started what they call the Gray Rock method of cutting off his narcissistic supply. Time will tell if it works. He is in the process of doing what he can to get attention from me. Of all things to endure dementia, why do these narcissistic tendencies remain? This is not a “it’s the disease, not the person” situation. This is his core being, and I feel the life nearly crushed out of me by him. The end of this cannot come soon enough.

OMG, Lynne, I cannot begin to imagine what you have endured. And you haven't run for the hills?? Geez, you should receive saint-hood status. I do agree that somewhere within one's psyche, innate thought patterns still exist, especially if this area hasn't been ravaged by the disease yet. Do whatever you need to protect and nurture yourself. Since you are taking on the caregiver role, it's even more important to care for yourself. Take care and be safe.

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    You are definitely looking at sainthood status Lynn.  Hugs to you.  O

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia