Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Off topic, but an interesting story - at least to me

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My SIL passed away last spring. Her family had a celebration of her life yesterday, which I attended. One of my nephews told me he had been researching something on the internet, and he happened to come across a newspaper article from around 1908. My father was 13 years old, and the house where he lived also had a rat terrier living there. Apparently, the house caught on fire in the middle of the night, and the dog barking woke them up. It was a bad fire, and the dog was credited with saving their lives. I never heard that story before.

Here's what was interesting about it. When I was about 4 or 5 years old, we had a rat terrier (coincidence?). Dad died when I was 3 weeks old, but a few years after the fire incident, he became a member of the fire department, and I still have his captain's badge from the fire department.

There were probably around 100 people attending the celebration of life, and if it hadn't have been for that dog, most of the people there would never have been born.

Comments

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    The twists and turns of fate can lead to good results too, not just “cruel fate”.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed thank you for sharing. A very interesting story and what a coincidence. Also glad you have your dad’s badge!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more