Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

And then there were none

There are six widely recognized activities of daily living—to wit, dressing, eating, toileting, bathing, ambulating, and transferring.   My DW, in late stage 6, has long been unable to independently perform the first five.   Now, transferring is also a challenge.

For the past few weeks, DW has difficulty going from sitting to standing, standing to sitting, and from sitting to lying down.  And getting her in or out of the car is easily a twenty minute affair.

Best I can tell, DW is afraid of falling, and so doesn’t want to stand, or sit, or lie down, as the case may be.  Needless to say, she is not amenable to any sort of reasoning.  Mostly, I wait her out, and eventually she’ll stand, or sit.   If I attempt to force the issue, she hollers bloody murder.  So….I don’t.

Every phase of this disease is so hard that, somehow, it takes me by surprise when it gets harder still.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jeff, I'm sorry. It's unfortunate that getting harder is the only way it goes. I think you're right when you say you think she is afraid of falling. That makes a lot of sense. I  just wish it could be easier all around.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Jeff, I agree with what you said that "Every phase of this disease is so hard that, somehow, it takes me by surprise when it gets harder still".  I hadn't thought of that until I read your post.  But that's exactly where I am.  It seems like DH gets a little worse and I try to readjust.  We stay at that level for a little bit and then he gets worse, and I try to readjust.  If things would just stay the same for a while it would be a lot easier to cope.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff,

I am sorry for the heartache each step of progression brings you.  My DH, also late stage six, is very much like your DW.  The only difference being, DH is in the hands of others now; I am no longer struggling with the physical aspects of his decline.  It is easier for me, but it doesn’t lessen the pain I feel as I watch him fading away.  I admire your stamina, strength, and resolve in caring for your DH at home.  I thought I could do that; I did not.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Dear Jeff, I also am amazed that you have carried on as long as you have.  Losing mobility--one more thing.  Do you need the assistance of someone else to move her?  That is going to take it to a different level...
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jeff so sorry. You are so right . I just echo everything FHL said. Just when we get to where we can manage some new nightmare shows it’s ugly head. Wishing you strength to carry on.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

So difficult, I am sorry.   I did discover after a bit that my LO was experiencing lightheadedness with movement; upon occcasion to the point of dizziness, so moving took longer than long sometimes to accommodate the scary feelings that generated fears of falling or disorientation to space.

J.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks for the comments/empathy.  The kudos, however, I don’t deserve.   Others among us have been on this road longer, some much longer, than I have; my DW is far easier to care for than many; and I have a lot more help than many of you.  

M1, I don’t need help moving DW.   Her weight is now down to two digits; when the EMTs were here last week, they dismissed any issues getting her downstairs, saying, “She’s tiny.”
    I continue to care for my DW at home because I can, so far, and I think it’s what she wants insofar as I can tell.  I have discovered that a recent increase in bowel incontinence is not proving to be a proverbial line in the sand.

What I can’t solve for is heartbreak.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jeff so sorry, your right about heartbreak, and I don't think the proverb that time heals all wounds applies to heartbreak. And you deserve all the Kudos. All the help you have," makes the work easier" it's  the heart that bears the brunt of this terrible,terrible disease, you said it well.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    No, no solving for the heartbreak, that's for sure.  I have no doubt,though, Jeff, that you will be able to look back, in the future, and honestly say you did everything you could.  Perhaps that ultimately solves it, Jeff.  I don't know.  Loss comes to all of us--grief is the price we pay for love, is it not?
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jeff, you're right. Heartbreak is the worst. But I can promise that it will get easier. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Jeff, I’m so sorry your DW is having these new issues. You are right, there is heartache every step of the way. You kind of hope certain things will never happen and if and when they do, it’s crushing. But we find ways to deal with it. You absolutely deserve all the kudos for caring for your wife in her own home. Even with help, it isn’t easy.I have so much admiration for you.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Jeff, I'm so glad you can be there for your wife . I finally had to give up.  It is real lonely around here now. I wish I could have done more for her. Hoot

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more