Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Where it’s at

Hi everyone,
I am sorry I haven’t posted for awhile. I am looking for a home for my husband or have started the process. I have been reading the posts and I see so much similarities in the posts on here and what I am experiencing. 
My husband is starting to decline more and the two sentences he does say are: Should I go to bed now? Should I have my dinner now.  
I gave him a shower today and he looked so thin and vulnerable, I gave him a hug. I realize that I should do that a lot more often. 
He wears his Depends well over a few days, I check them for erm content and if they have it, he gets a fresh pair. 
He wakes me very early in the morning so my sleep is somewhat compromised, but on the whole, there is a routine of sorts in place here. 
One amusing thing did happen. I often go down the basement to chill. Because it has been hot the last few days, a rather annoying fly has been pestering me. I warned the fly over and over that his last few minutes were upon him. I even presented him with the mode of execution. Did he listen? Nailed him. I showed the corpse to my husband who burst out in gales of laughter and said: you nailed the bastard. I laughed so hard, it was my husband back again. Poof then it was gone. 
Thank you all for being worried about me, I appreciate it.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Oh buggs it so good to see your post. I was thinking of you just before I read this post. It sounds like some progression is going on and I hope you can find a great place for when you might need it. I have to say I laughed big time about the fly. From the sounds of it things are going a little better on the poo front which is a good thing. I get as many hugs as I can, they really have some unexplainable power to bring peace to me. I get more now because dw is having a hard time standing up, so when I help pull her up she is right into my arms. 

You made my day knowing your are OK.

Stewart

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Buggsroo it’s so good to hear from you. The fly story was hilarious and to hear your husband laughing must have been music to you. So sorry he is declining. Hugs do add make life feel better! Hope you are taking care of yourself. I know you are still working a lot. Again it’s good to hear from you!
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Buggsroo,

So good to hear from you, and sounds like you are keeping things going there, and maintaining your humor.  I hope you get placement for your DH very soon. You are doing the best you can for him and even if he sometimes doesn't know it, we do!!!  You are a special lady.  Love the fly in the basement story

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You not only nailed the fly, you nailed the post too. Great to hear from you. It sounds like you have things under control. Not sure how you do that with all you've been through. Thanks for letting us know what's going on. Hoping you get things moving soon.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Loved the story about the fly and your dear husbands' comment. It's makes a very good day for us no matter how long it lasts. It is one few perks we get and are few and far between. Hoot
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Buggsroo, a big hug being sent your way.  A good laugh can work wonders, that was such a cute and sweet spontaneous response - a gift of light being let in for a moment just for you.

I know you are working hard up there in Canada doing all the hard work to get to the point you need to be at; I send best and warmest of wishes that you experience success soon.

J.

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    It's good hearing from you buggs. It's funny how we get so much pleasure out of the short lived things in our lives now.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all so much. I appreciate all of you so much. As for the fly, its death is now on my profile on FB, loads of Monty Python references, I doubt the fly knew how much amusement he has engendered. Maybe in next life he will go up a step in the reincarnation ladder and come back as a rat.

Working today has been a slice of hell. Everything that could go wrong, plus the husband is at asking the same questions over and over. The good thing is that I just off handedly answer and wait for the next cycle. Rinse and repeat. 

Went to put him to bed, big turd in bathroom sink, lost it, luckily he doesn’t remember anything I say. I went postal to be honest, huge brown skid marks in his sweat pants, Depends full of product, huge runnels of poo down his legs. Spent my break cleaning poo off sink, under toilet, my god it was even all over his family jewels. When I saw that, recovered myself and started laughing. I mean on your jewels? Oh well my Monday is going swimmingly.

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I was wishing Jan would pee in the sink, heck of a lot easier cleaning up. Hoot
  • Buggsroo

@hoot:

Be careful what you wish for.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Buggs, I was wondering where you were. What a day, a dead fly who might come back as a rat and poop all over the place again. Only you could see the humor in all of that. One minute you’re going postal and the next you’re having a belly laugh over the soiled family jewels. I admire you, Buggs.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Well Buggs heres my little silly thing. My dw's bathroom at the nhf has a soap dispenser that is directly above the cold water handle and it gets you every single time you reach for the cold water lever. So today I reached for it and reacted just in the nick of time to miss the soap squirter, Ha I beat ya, I said, like a victory over this stupid little dispenser.  I found myself laughing over my little victory.
  • Buggsroo

Stewart,

I can really relate, I mean it isn’t everyday you get attacked by a soap dispenser, or the designer that laid out that bathroom dropped some acid. I am a designer as well and the bad design out there makes me nuts. Good for you for getting a leg over so to speak.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Buggsroo you are truly one in a million!  You would make a fortune writing books, your humor in so many bad situations is amazing. I’m still laughing which I thank you for because I desperately needed it. Thank you for coming back!  If that sounds selfish I’m sorry.
  • Buggsroo

@joydean

Thank you for such a nice note. I am glad you like my humour. I got in a lot of trouble in school with it. I pissed off a lot of teachers, and did make friends with all the other clowns in the class. So thanks to you all. Honestly if I didn’t laugh, I would cry. 

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Had a nice belly laugh over TBE's victory over the soap dispenser. It reminded me of the towel dispenser in all the ER rooms at the local hospital we've had to endure at least monthly this past year. The towel dispensers are located just to the left of the visitor's chair and just about head level. Every time I would shift position to relieve the dead butt feelings, that thing would shoot out another foot of paper towel. I used to tear it off and throw it away, but not the last time we were there. When we were finally discharged, I left it hanging and puddled on the floor at my feet. It provided great amusement over the 4 hours. Amazingly, the nurses in and out never seemed to notice. Another example of bad design, Buggs.
  • Buggsroo

I really get the bad design thing. I have seen design errors that make my toes curl. A friend of mine asked me to redo her bathroom design wise. The first thing I did was ask her how the door worked. She thought I was nuts. Then I showed her, if it opens to the inside, I told her she would lose about two to three feet of space. If it opens to the outside in the spacious hall, there was extra space. Then I asked her about how high she wanted the sink, she was tall, so I designed a platform for the sink so she now longer had to bend over. Long story short, I had her go in and replicate the moves she made everyday so I could design with them in mind. 

So randomly placing soap dispensers or towel dispensers is just nuts. I hate bad design. Thing is with good design, you don’t notice it, it just goes into the background. Bad design renders people angry and annoyed. Here endeth the rant.

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    How is the care facility search going Buggsroo?  Any possibilities?
  • Buggsroo
    Being the procrastinator I am, just started the search. I am thinking the home my dad was in would be great for my husband. I am lucky if I get six hours a night, my husband wakes me up early in the morning. Today was no different, but I hit the wall. I was exhausted, actually out to lunch and really tired. If someone ran me over I would just let them do it. This is the kick I need. So tomorrow is day one of my search for real. I realize I can’t keep going through life sleepwalking. Scary actually.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Hugs to you.  Being exhausted is the worst!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dear Bugs, It's GOOD to hear from you! Thank you for the update. I hope you find a place for him that you like and feel comfortable with.

Cheers to Nailing The Bastard!!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney