Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Clogged toilet and Boost

Trying to come up with words that aren’t gross sounding.  Has anyone experienced a change in bowel movements after drinking Boost for a few weeks?  My DH continually clogs the toilet after BMs and I initially thought it was from too much toilet paper because he folds it creating a bigger mass than just bunched up toilet paper. But now I’m realizing it’s the density of his stools which are large and dense.  Yesterday I was in the room while he was on the toilet and I flushed 3 times successfully while he was still going, but the 4th time it was clogged. He hadn’t used toilet paper yet.  This has happened 2 or 3 times a week for the past month and a half, and it takes a few tries with the auger to get it unstopped.  The only change in his diet has been adding Boost in the last two months. 

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    He must be eating plenty to produce that much, why is he taking the Boost?

It and similar other nutritional drinks loosen the stool generally, so you may need to stop the shakes.
  • Famcal
    Famcal Member Posts: 4
    First Anniversary First Comment

Two suggestions from my experience.

Try stool softener pills. They may take a day or 2 to start working.

Add liquid soap to the toilet bowl before the first flush.  Wait a few minutes before flushing again.  The soap helps unclog things by acting as a lubricant.

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Thanks for the tips. I'd heart of using liquid soap after it's clogged but not before but it makes sense.  One thing I found that works if initial plunging and augering doesn't work is to add a cup of baking soda and then vinegar, wait 1/2 hour, add a gallon of hot water (not boiling), flush, then let it soak for a while, and then flush again.

I started giving him Boost to see how it would work for leg weakness and because his appetite has changed to where he doesn't eat as much anymore. I'd heard Ensure can cause diarrhea and people switched to Boost without that problem, so that's what made me wonder if the Boost was what was making the difference in his case.  

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    He must be eating quite a bit to produce enough for 3 flushes. Does he really need the Boost drinks? We used them for a month or so earlier in the year after my DH lost about 15 pounds due to trouble swallowing and not being hungry. The Boost and Ensure drinks have a lot of calories and some protein and multivitamins and they were convenient. But in his case they did cause some constipation. But once the doctor changed his meds and he was hungry and eating again, I quit the Boost drinks and just concentrated on a healthy and balanced diet with lots of fiber and the constipation went away. And over a few months he’s gained 18 pounds which puts him in his normal weight range. Ice cream for dessert most nights probably helped.  A big bowl of oatmeal with frozen blueberries every morning probably helps.
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Anecdotally - We went through a period of clogged toilet that I assumed was related to using too much paper. I finally tired of clearing the clog myself, only to have it happen again and again. I called a plumber to see if it was actually the sewer line. Plumber used a camera to inspect it and found a very large blockage of so-called "flushable" wipes was the culprit. About 6 months later, the problems started again. Plumber had a devil of a time getting it to stay clear. On a subsequent visit, he had an assistant trainee helping him who over-tightened the screws holding the toilet to the floor and broke the toilet in half. That's when they discovered a small pocket comb sitting in the trap. The auger had been able to push the clog through, but the comb remained. A new toilet was installed and no problems since. This all happened when DH was about mid-stage Dementia and still toileting alone. Of course, he had no idea who could have been responsible for the wipes or the comb going down the John. Another one of those great mysteries of life.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    As long as he's eating and not becoming dangerously underweight, I'd skip the Boost, see if things go back to normal.  Or was he always having this problem?
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My plumber suggested adding a little liquid soap at least once a week. Which I admit dose help. I also use baking soda and vinegar once a month. So for no more clogged up toilet.  I also only put a roll of tissue paper that only has a small amount on it. 

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 444
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Are you using liquid hand soap or liquid dish detergent?
  • Joydean
    I use liquid dish soap!  I use dawn.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    My DW drinks Boost or Ensure because she doesn’t eat enough, isn’t getting enough nutrition and is losing weight.  
    To deal with large BMs, which were difficult for DW to pass as well as could clog the toilet, I switched to formulations that include fiber.   Seems to work better.  Can’t get it from the grocery or drug story but I get it from Amazon.
  • Joydean
    Jeff, which one do you from Amazon? I have tried protein drink from Costco but dh doesn’t like it.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Joydean, I can get both Boost and Ensure, with fiber, from Amazon.  Early on in our AD journey, DW didn’t care for these supplements, but for several years now she thinks they’re delicious!  (They’re not!)
  • Joydean
    Thanks Jeff, you are right, they are not delicious! But if she will drink then and are helping her that’s still a win! I will try them for my husband.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Both Boost and Ensure cause severe diarrhea in many people, according to 2 different doctors I see. Some people are sensitive to the lactose (although the label says it’s ok for lactose sensitivities, it still causes problems). 

And those drinks have a lot of oils, sweeteners, and other concentrated additives that are problems for a lot of people. Obviously many do not have a problem, but many others do, as you’ve probably seen from a Google search. And because they’re all somewhat different, it makes sense to me that one brand/type can be ok, but others not.

I’ve seen a lot of people say they do better with these drinks if they drink them more slowly, and know some who took the OTC meds for lactose sensitivity, before the drink, and that worked. 

I personally had a big problem with one variety of Boost, but not others (which is why I was talking to docs about it). DH is good with basic Ensure, but has problems with other varieties.

I also have to order from Amazon because local groceries don’t carry, or not consistently. 

• jane8851
    jane8851 Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    My DH flushed his glasses down the toilet and then when he couldn't find them accused me of hiding them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more