Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Shingles & Caregiving

Yes, I'm up in the middle of the night. I apparently have Shingles. Last winter I got the full two shot "vaccine", but I still got Shingles. I'm telling everyone this because as caregivers we need to stay healthy. 

Science does not know how chicken pox viruses that have been dormant in your body for decades suddenly reactive but there are certain risk factors the main one being "old age" (per the NIH). Since that doesn't apply to me I must have Early Onset Shingles.

But my main point is that it is theorized...or is it hypothesized...that psychological stress can bring about Shingles. Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner here. Caregivers beware. 

So unless you're an anti-vaxer I recommend getting the Shingles vaccine. If it doesn't prevent it, it supposedly will reduce the severity. This seems to be so for me. My father had Shingles about my age and he was in a lot of pain. Since he already had it he then  decided he didn't need the vaccine but got it a second time in his early 90's, which really sucked for him. 

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh Vitruvius I'm so sorry---yes, it's another weird virus.  Are you taking medication?  Both the vaccine AND the antivirals (like Valtrex, Famvir, or Acyclovir) can help prevent permanent nerve damage, so I do hope you have a prescription.  No vaccine is 100%, but I'm still glad you had it.  Postherpetic neuralgia--pain that never goes away--is what you don't want, that's for sure.  

Let us know how it goes....

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That just sucks. I'm sorry for you. I was diagnosed with shingles maybe 6 - 8 years ago, but it was very mild. I hope yours is like that too.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I had it years ago, sometime after 03, still have the patches at camp or someplace 1or 2 left. I hope yours stays a mild case. last year had the 2 shot vaccine. I hope it stays away. We have enough on our plate now, we sure don't need Shingles.  Hoot
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Vitruvius wrote:

But my main point is that it is theorized...or is it hypothesized...that psychological stress can bring about Shingles. Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner here. Caregivers beware

its not as good as hypothesized    but its a good guess that long term streess is a high risk facotor

It has been supposed that shingles may result from weakened resistance (immunity) to infections, as the disease is more common in older adults and those who are immunocompromised (have weakened immune systems)   .https://www.rxsaver.com/conditions/shingles

In contrast, chronic stress can suppress protective immune responses and/or exacerbate pathological immune responses. 

Dhabhar, F.S. Effects of stress on immune function: the good, the bad, and the beautiful. Immunol Res 58, 193–210 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12026-014-8517-

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

There's a psa to encourage whooping cough vaccination currently playing on tv here. It's catch phrase is "not just for kids".

The shingles vaccinations should use " not just for seniors". My youngest had shingles in his early 30s.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more