Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hurricane Ian

I’m thinking of my fellow Floridians and hoping Hurricane Ian passes you by.  While I’m in the cone of uncertainty, I think the worst of it will be east of us.   Having survived Hurricane Michael in 2018, my advice is to ask your local emergency managers for help if you’re worried.    They are there for you!

Comments

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Hi MaryG.  I'm in Florida also.  Watching the weather closely to see if we need to put up hurricane shutters.  I love Florida except for the months of Sept. & Oct.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hope all of you in Florida are safe! It sounds like tomorrow will be a bad day. Just saw where the Tampa area could get some major flooding! Please stay safe! Prayers for all of you there!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I hope everyone can stay safe. I have a son near Orlando, so I think he'll be ok. I also have a g- daughter and good friends living in the southwestern part. Hoping they'll do ok.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    ttt, y'all all be safe today and in the days to come.  Post when you can.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Relatives in Tampa, Orlando and Edgewater ( just south of Daytona) so we are following closely.
  • Ed1937
    About 90 minutes ago I texted with my g-daughter. They live in Cape Coral, but left for a Best Western on the 6th floor in Fort Meyers.. They have no power, and winds are intense, but so far everything is ok. Not sure about their house. Cape Coral got hit pretty bad, so have to wait to see what happened.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    I'm in the Daytona Beach area.  They are estimating we'll have winds of 60-70 mph with gusts of 70-90 mph.  They're saying that this is a 2-day storm because it's moving so slowly across our state.  We live in a 2-story home.  DH finished putting shutters up on the second story this morning and fell when coming down the ladder.  He's now in the hospital with 2 fractured back ribs and a fractured shoulder cap.  They were getting ready to lock down the hospital, so I needed to leave and feed our cats.  Found out they are staying locked down all day tomorrow.  So, I may not see him until Friday.  Got home and found out that our 16-year-old cat is sick.  What a terrible day.  Love you all.  Please pray for us.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Faith Hope,Love. your in my prayers with your husband. Hoot
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Thanks Hoot.  Feeling lots of guilt right now since I asked him to climb up there and put up the shutters.  I feel so stupid.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    FHL--wishing you and your DH all the best! Stay strong, and keep us posted.
  • Ed1937
    "He's now in the hospital with 2 fractured back ribs and a fractured shoulder cap. "  I'm sorry to hear about that. But you shouldn't feel guilty. That was something that needed to be done. Anyone can fall off a ladder. You are both in my prayers, as are the others fighting this thing.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    FHL I will be praying for all that is going on. God can do anything.
  • Ed1937

My g-gaughter and her family got back to their house in Cape Coral. They were not submerged, but there is no electricity, and won't be for the foreseeable future. The entire electrical infrastructure has to be replaced, and that will take no telling how long. Much of the neighborhood was under water, but they didn't have too much in their house.

They have food, but with no power, it will probably spoil. She was able to get to one store that opened, but just about everything was already gone. 

Flying debris took out the back window of their pickup, but everyone is OK. It could be worse.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    FHL prayers for you and your husband, hope he is doing well. Ed I’m glad your granddaughter is ok. Praying for all those folks in Florida and all areas that tornado is touching.  Judith hope your family and friends are safe.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Our house made it thru Ian with some leaking but no major damage or flooding.  We have a huge oak tree uprooted, but that's about the worst of it.  The ground is very saturated and squishy from all the rain.  My worst problem is with DH.  So, here's the story.  Friday, I tried calling the hospital but couldn't get through to them.  Cell service has been poor so around noontime I decided to venture out and try to get to the hospital.  I had to take several detours because of road closures, trees down and water over the roads.  When I got there, I found out they had been trying to call me because they wanted to discharge him.  I took one look at him and could tell he was out of his head.  It was on his chart to give him Seroquel, but they never did.  He's in a lot of pain, and he has a very low pain threshold.  They asked him to get out of bed so they could help him put clothes on and he couldn't. He kept screaming and moaning that he hurt.  Finally, after 30 minutes the nurse's assistant gave up and got him up.  I spoke with his nurse and told her I couldn't properly care for him at home.  I told her about how the nurse's assistant had to get him up and that I couldn't provide that level of care.  I explained that we also had no power and no edible food in the house.  It was all spoiled.  The nurse said she would contact the doctor and explain the situation and see if they could keep him at least one more day.  The doctor responded by saying he had to be discharged.  I asked if they could send him to a rehab facility that could handle him.  I was told he didn't qualify because he had walked 200 ft that morning.  It took them 30 minutes to get him in the car at the hospital.  When I got home, I couldn't get him out.  Fortunately, our neighbor was home.  He's a firefighter/paramedic.  He got him out of the car and onto the couch.  DH stayed on the couch all night.  I stayed curled up on the love seat to make sure he was ok.  This morning he was slouched down in a really awkward position on the couch and refused to get up.  He just lay there moaning.  I called 911 and they came and got him setting up straight on the couch.  All of the paramedics said why don't you have him in a rehab center.  I explained the situation and they suggested that I contest it.  I do see in the paperwork that he's supposed to have a follow up visit with another doctor.  I'm thinking of calling him Monday and explaining the situation to see if I can get him into rehab somewhere.  Any ideas about this would sure be helpful.  I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or what else I need to do.   There is some good news.  Last night at 9pm our power was back on.
  • Ed1937
    I'm glad your power is back on, but sorry your food is spoiled, and you had such a time with the hospital. If you can't give him the care he needs, you did not have to take him out of the hospital. This has been discussed many times on the forum. Yes, they will try to make you think you have no choice, but you just have to keep telling them that you can't provide the necessary care for him, and refuse to take him. They cannot put him on the street. Lesson learned in case there is a next time.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    You're right Ed.  I do remember reading that several times.  I guess they were pressuring me so hard that I just forgot.  With the storm and everything my mind is just in a tizzy.  Any ideas as to what I should do now?
  • Ed1937

Someone might have a better idea, but if not, and it is too difficult for you to provide safe care for him, I'd call 911 to ask for transportion to a hospital. Then refuse to take him home.

FWIW, I took my wife to the hospital in our car when she needed ER. While there, I was told if she had to come back for any reason, take her by ambulance because they are treated right away. And if you took him by car, it would give the impression that you actually could handle him. Best of luck to both of you.

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Thanks Ed!
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    What a nightmare Faith Hope Love.  I second Ed’s advice to call 911 when appropriate and then don’t take him home.  I certainly understand the brain fog that happens during a natural disaster.  We’re all in survival mode.  The news had a story of a wife who put a life vest on her paralyzed husband as the water rose around his bed.  Heartbreaking.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more