Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH wants a divorce

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
My DH is pretty early on but on a number of occasions (particularly on my day off) he doesn’t know we are married and when I explain we are he wants a divorce. He wants to know who has the deed to the house (he signed it over to me but doesn’t remember). Today I played along and said I would find a lawyer and he should find one too. He wants to sell the house. I said we’d first have to paint and get new carpets etc. While I know he will go back to wanting to be married it scares me whenever he talks like this. I don’t know if I should tell him how much he will need me in the future, how important it is that we don’t sell the house, etc. in the past he was aware of his Alzheimer’s but I don’t know if he still is. He has no family, no children. I’m it, the only one to take care of him.

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    As you already know, he can't process what his needs will be in the future or appreciate the care you give to him now or in the future.

As long as he isn't becoming aggressive and/or kicking you out of the house, that's fine, but if there is any threatening behavior I would make sure my cell phone is charged and on my person in case I need 911.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think you're wise to take the, "ok, as soon as we..." approach with agreeing, but we'll have to paint, etc. I have both heard and experienced that "yes and" is the way to go. Yes, we'll sell the house and there is a lot to be done (several months worth of stuff) before we can sell it. You are not then obligated to start doing those things.

When my dh first retired, he was all about getting a new job, so I was vaguely supportive (happy sounds, but not helping with the process), and pretty soon that idea petered out. I'm thinking these will too.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    This kind of talk from our LO's hurts, regardless, ElCy, I know.  There's no talk of divorce, but for years now my partner has forgotten our history together, forgotten what kind of work I do, has forgotten my children and most of her family, all of it.   When I go visit now in MC there's clearly progression, there are many more "holes" in her conversation, and confabulation to fill in.  It's so hard, and I know it must sting for you to hear that.  Surreal when you can't respond with logic.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy, I think you are handling it well. Logic won't work, but by playing into his thoughts, that might work for a while. Then hopefully he'll forget all about it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more