Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MC recommendations in SF Bay area

I’m starting the process of vetting MC communities close (within 10 miles) to Pacifica, CA. Being my wife’s almost exclusive caregiver, my research time is limited so I am hoping to leverage the experience of others in this forum to offer some suggestions on facilities with which they’ve had positive experience. From there I can start to visit and come up with a short list. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Check out Silverado, Belmont Hills. My father was cared for there until, for family reasons, we moved him to Silverado, Escondido. Silverado specializes in memory care.

Also call Tami Anastasia, a dementia care consultant in the Bay Area. 

• VinceC
    VinceC Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Thanks for the tip on Silverado. I’ll be checking them out next week.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    In my research, I came across Frank Residences, part of San Francisco Campus for Jewish Living. They're beyond my budget, but definitely is the Cadillac of MCFs.
  • VinceC
    VinceC Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Silverado is a wonderful and unique facility but at over $13,000per month and a $13,500 move in fee, it’s way beyond means of any but the wealthiest clients.
  • RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes
    Holy cow!  It was “only” 11k when my dad left in 2020 just before Covid. SF was an emergency placement after a crisis nearby. We were happy it worked out for the best to move him back to Escondido, closer to more family, where it was “only” 8k.  My dad worked long and hard as a well respected coach in San Diego.  Living way below his means his entire life he could afford the cost. It left me wondering what most folks end up doing when they cannot care for their loved ones any longer.  Alzheimer’s sucks!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more