Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH Passed

I am sad to say that DH passed away on Sept 21, 2022. He declined very rapidly after his last episode and was gone a month later. I did get in to see him on the 20th and sat with him on the 21st.

I am angry at the legal system as they charged a man with assault and he didn't know what was going on. He didn't know what he'd done in the days after. What I didn't know was I should have been visiting him as they couldn't throw me out of the hospital as I wasn't the person who was charged. All they could do was report to the RCMP that he was violating the conditions stated on the paper we were given. The whole thing was a gong show and, in the end, I was victimized by the system.

The hospital staff took excellent care of DH to the end. They loved him dearly. He did resist them when he didn't understand what they wanted but once they realized that, they figured out how to work with him. They made sure he was comfortable at all times.

I am coping. I have made many lists in the last month, revised them, and made new ones. I am working through a long list right now. Family has been by my side the whole time and I'm grateful for that. I have also supported them when they needed it.

We prepared for Fiona's arrival on the day DH passed. I was into the house again on Friday to finish up as I had a lot of items that I wanted off the floor in case of flooding. Fiona hit at 11 pm Friday night and it was quite the show. My house and yard had no damage (the garden even survived) and family lost a wooden screen door and 3 panels of fence. I was home on Saturday afternoon as I stayed with family.

I am hoping everyone is doing as well as possible. I keep thinking of all of you as you take your journey with a LO who has Alzheimer's.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ann I am so sorry to hear about you dh passing and all the events that caused more stress for you. I am glad you didn't suffer any damage from Fiona. Your always in my prayers.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ann please except my condolences to you and your family. He is so longer in the grip of horrible Alzheimer’s, he is free. Prayers for you and your family.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Deepest condolences, Ann, on your DH’s passing.  May you find peace in the coming weeks and months.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Fiona sounds like the wrath of God that was icing on the cake.  Glad you are okay and so, so sorry--about all of it.  Glad he is at peace--hope it will come to you, too.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I am so sorry for your loss, and everything leading up to it.
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Dealing with and being the caregiver of a person with Alzheimer's or dementia of any type is horrible enough, but to be violated by the legal system is a horror to end all horrors. I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband, but I hope that you can take some comfort knowing that he is no longer suffering and this mental anguish and pain are gone. I pray that you can move on with your life and put the past behind you,  even though that's easier said than done.                                      God's blessings to you and your family in the days to come. Richard

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I know you are going to miss him.
  • Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Wishing you peace.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Ann, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear husband and all the events leading up to it. Thank goodness you were spared most of Fiona’s wrath. Too many things to have to deal with. Please take care of yourself.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ann, I'm so sorry for your loss of you DH and all the other events that happened during this time. May God bless you and your family. I'm glad you have their support.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm sorry Ann.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ann, My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. May you find some peace in the days ahead.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Ann, I am so sorry for your  husband's death and all you have been through.  May you find some relief in the support of your family and fond memories of earlier times.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Ann, wishing you courage and peace through this sad, sad time.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ann, may your dh rest in peace, and you and  your family know that he is released from this awful disease.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am sorry for your loss. I wish you both peace.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Ann, I am so very sorry for all that happened and for the loss of your dear husband.   You have had such significant challenges, and then to have Fiona on top of it, that is just astounding.

I so hope for the best for you and that you will find peace of mind and heart very soon.

J.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    I'm so sorry for your loss, Ann. Praying for your peace and comfort.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more