Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

For Hoot619 billing

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hoot, if you were never given a formal, written Medicare Notice of Non-Coverage, which I do not think you were, your wife was covered by Medicare for her entire stay.   It is federal law; a formal written notice must be provided along with the opportunity to appeal the notice before the hospital stay is no longer covered by Medicare.  If your wife had a secondary supplemental insurance, that too would have continued to cover their portion for deductibles and co-pays, etc. as no written notice was served.   The fact that your wife required care at a nursing home level and nothing else was safe or  appropriate, and that there were no beds at any NH facilities despite the Social Worker striving to find one is also a reason why Medicare continued.  It is also federal law that the patient cannot be discharged to an unsafe, inappropriate setting, so it does appear that you should no have concerns regarding the insurance coverage.

If Jan did not have a supplemental plan to cover Medicare deductibles and co-pays, then those would be the only items you would be responsible for; but having a supplement, you should come out just fine. 

Peace,

J.

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    They never sent me anything, but did tell my daughter that is was all on me after the 1st Wednesday. You two are making me feel better already. Thanks again from the bottom of my heart. Hoot
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I am not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that it differs from state to state, but you may not be responsible for any unpaid debts of hers unless you signed to accept responsibility. This could be a sizable amount. In Indiana the spouse is responsible, regardless.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Absolutely no difference state to state whatsoever; it is a FEDERAL insurance and it is the same in every single state.

As for being financially responsible, that was when the staff wanted the patient to be taken back home it was more or less a warning.  Without a formal written Medicare Notice of Non-Coverage  served to the person making decisions; this being Hoot, the stay would have been covered.

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry Jo. I wasn't very clear. I wasn't referring to Medicare. I was just talking about general financial responsibilities that might be left behind.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Agree with everything Victoria said and then some Hoot. I filed numerous complaints regarding my partner's 25 day hospital stay in March/April and I have not received a single bill for any charges.  Fwiw i was told that a Medicare complaint can take up to three years to resolve, however the state health department made an unannounced inspection while my partner was still hospitalized and told me in general terms that they "were in violation of regulations and laws." Nothing more specific than that.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    PS I am sorry the last few weeks were such an ordeal for all of you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more