Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rational Comments interspersed with hallucinations

DH has been in SNF rehab since 9/11. I visit from about noon to 3:30 or 4:00 daily. He gets very confused when I go home. He understands I am going home to feed the cat and dog, but thinks I am also going to take him home to the house he grew up in in New Jersey. He has been in California for 64 years and in the same house for the last 56 years. I am home now and just got a call from him worried that the pets had escaped and were missing some where. He was very relieved when he heard they were OK. The staff are wonderful and know they can call me whenever DH wants to talk with me.  This afternoon DH said we  had to make a list of activities so he would know where I was and where he would be and he could check them off as they happened. So, I wrote out a list starting with his having breakfast at the rehab, my getting there before his lunch, my leaving late afternoon to go home and feed pets, and his staying at rehab and having dinner and sleeping there at night, while I had dinner and slept at home.  We went over it several times and he was fine when I left this afternoon.  He obsessed a bit about where the list was and we designated a place to keep it on the bed table. I also told the staff about it.  Keeping my fingers crossed it works. When I see him tomorrow, he'll probably ask if I drove from the house in New Jersey. He has rational conversations with the OT and PT and tells them if he doesn't understand what they want him to do.  I am hoping he gets to come home this weekend. He has no appetite, didn't even want his favorite peanut butter chocolate chip cookie I brought for him and has lost about 10 pounds.  I think I need a list to sort things out.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Good luck Saltom, hope you have enough help at home. The lists may work for a while. My partner has a stack of about 50 pieces of paper with my phone number on them, and multiple greeting cards that people have sent her. They put a list of my visiting days on her bedside table, but none of it registers. She's usually fooling with those stacks of papers when i get there.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    I could use one of those lists too Saltom . So sweet that you took the time to do that for him, poor guy.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more