Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lasix - yes or no for dementia.?..

My husband is stage 5 currently and is type 1 diabetic for 52 years.  He was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease a year ago and improved greatly on low salt diet. The doctor prescribed lasix but his legs haven’t really swollen until just recently so I have t used it until now.  

And as to be expected it caused repeated trips to the bathroom.    dH is pretty good at alerting me that he has to go but once in the bathroom.I have to prompt him every step of the way.  This took a lot of time and I didn’t get much done.  Not sustainable. 

Just wondering if any one has any experience good or bad in this regard.

As I was doing some research about it on the internet I also discovered that lasix also causes high blood sugar and we experienced that as well.

Thanks

Comments

• Cinsababe
    Cinsababe Member Posts: 36
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Of course each case will be unique. My DH is type2 Diabetic. He is also stage3b Chronic Kidney Disease, diagnosed Alzheimers seems stage 5 to me. His legs never swell, but his potassium levels go very high. So he has to be on torsemide...similar to Lasix.  I would talk to your nephrologist, there may be other concerns besides swelling that they are watching and treating for. DH potassium was 6.6 last month, a deadly level and yet he had no symptoms, he has adjusted well to the meds and after a few days didn't seem to pee as much.  We have increased his insulin to cover the increase in blood sugar numbers.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Soul Mate, Lasix is very difficult to take for many folks without dementia.  My personal choice would be to hold off unless the leg swelling really seems to be causing him pain.  You might also ask if there's something less harsh that might work, but all "loop diuretics" as they are called are going to have this effect.  Sounds to me like it might be time for a palliative care conversation--do what makes him comfortable, but no more checking labs, etc.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Could he be getting extra salt from somewhere in his diet?  When I eat baked goods, which have a lot of sodium, my legs swell.  Can he elevate his legs?  A lot of trapped fluid is released during the night when we are laying flat and our legs are elevated.

Iris

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I don’t have any advice but wanted to share my humor. I honestly confused the diuretic with the eye surgery. I was ready to say it was a good idea so a PWD wouldn’t have to worry about losing their glasses.
  • Soul Mate
    Soul Mate Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

Ha, ha.  Thanks for the laugh.

Especially funny because my husband is also a John and that would be his sense of humor.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more