Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New day New Challenge ... Again

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 167
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes

I’m beginning to see that nothing will remain the same from day to day.  DH was doing ok, not great but ok. Today he’s repeating questions, doesn’t remember events, making silly faces when he walks into the room, doesn’t respond when asked a question, talking about people who have passed away as if they are still here! How could things change so quickly? Took him to Costco mainly for some walking for him, he wanted to buy things he already has multiples of and got angry when I said no. I turned away and went down an aisle, when I looked back for him he was gone! Spent 15 minutes looking for him! He started making comments loud enough for people to hear about how they shouldn’t leave their carts and why are you in such a rush you have to pass me walking! We left. I should have realize it may have been too stimulating for him. Learning everyday! Tsk

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    "How could things change so quickly? " That could possibly be due to a UTI. It's worth having him checked for that. UTIs can be present with no other symptoms other than what you are describing. And if there is a UTI, when treated, he will probably return to baseline. If you have the test done, please ask for a culture. That will tell them the best medication to use for the infection if there is one.
  • JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    Thank you Ed will look into this! So many things I don’t know!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You're welcome. We all have a lot to learn. We pick up a lot by reading posts like this one, and we learn a lot by experience. So read all the posts you can. It is well worth your time. FWIW. reading posts is how I found our about the UTI problem, then I experienced it myself. Good luck to you.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    JC5,    Ed couldn't have said it any better and I agree with everything he wrote.  Remember that others on here that offer advice have gone thru or going thru this awful journey with their Loved Ones. UTI for some reason can make a lot of changes in a person and when cleared up those changes mostly fade away. Hoot
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

JC, laughably, my last outing with my HWD was to Costco. I was looking for the Parmigiana/Reggiano (the shredded kind) and POOF! He had vanished. After several laps around the store, I asked for help. Staff put out an APB (they are all on radios) and found him outside.

That was about a month ago, and today he would not likely be able to walk the store at all. He has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s. What type does your LO have? Apparently the vascular can come with rapid changes.

Hang in there, and make sure you get some respite care and go to Costco. Make it a lunch dat with yourself!

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    JCS, things changed very rapidly at first with my DH too. It feels like a roller coaster sometimes. After a while I  get used to the fact that he couldn’t remember that some friends and relatives had passed so I just didn’t expect that he would know. When you get used to their limitations and know what to expect, it’s less upsetting and you learn to work around it. Staying calm myself, or at least pretending I was calm, turned out to be a big thing. In our case medications were prescribed and sometimes adjusted that calm some behaviors. When I compare this year to a year ago, things are better overall this year. Medications were the key for us. This year he’s sleeping well, eating better and is able to do more things. He also seems less confused.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

JC as Lynne said it’s funny you mentioned Costco. I would take my dh their with me so he could get some walking in. That was not working out he wanted to go home as soon as we got in the store. I noticed there were several vets that sat and ate together while their wife’s shopped. So I asked dh if he would like a hotdog. We got him one, and he always wears his navy hat, the other guys invited him to eat with them. He was excited ( when talking about military stuff is about the only time he speaks where you can understand him). I thanked the guys and was able to shop. Now he loves going and always stays right there in food court.

Things do seem to change way too quickly. 

• Pathfinder52
    Pathfinder52 Member Posts: 37
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

When you mentioned "funny faces" it made me think of Tardive Dyskinesia: Taking certain mental health medicines (antipsychotics) for a few months is thought to cause too much dopamine activity in the brain. Dopamine is a chemical in the brain that plays a role in how we move. Too much dopamine activity in the brain could lead to uncontrollable body movements (TD). 

Don't know what medications your DH is taking, but if the "funny faces" continue please have his meds checked by a licensed provider.

--p

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney