Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MC availability – what a difference location makes.

As I write this, I am painfully aware of how difficult placement and care has been for some of our board members, especially Hoot in his resent search for adequate care for his LO Jan (God rest her soul). (I am also a native Gander although aTroll).

In the past several weeks I have visited 8 MC facilities within 10 miles of our current home in the greater Salt Lake City area and found approx. 50 MC beds available. Only two facilities I visited accept Medicaid/Waiver and they have waiting lists.  The other six facilities are personal pay only and they are fairly new or brand new - that is where the open beds are. So there obviously is a business model that sees profit in a densely populated, rapid growth urban area.  I really don’t know how to spread that capacity to rural areas such as the UP of Michigan.

I did find caring people in all of those facilities. Yes some “sales” pressure to place sooner rather than later just to fill a bed. But mostly concern about our situation and what would work best for us. One woman in particular addressed how a PWD lives in a world of fear and trust and she would want DW placed with her while there is still has time to build that trust relationship.

I appreciate the encouragement of board members to do the homework now and have a plan in place.  I feel much better knowing what is available and where genuine care can be found.

Comments

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Colt,

You may also want to look at small group homes, also referred to as Board and Care.  Every state is different.  Our state registers facilities with fewer than 11 beds in this category.  They are often owner operated, in our case by an RN and his partner.  They are typically less expensive and often take Medicaid.  My husband received great care and we became part of the family at this home.  Highly recommended.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more