Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Zyprexa appears to work for us

Hello fellow caregivers,

I am breaking from my usual posts made in crisis to report some positive developments. Zyprexa appears to be working for my HWD. I give a dose in the morning and one before bed (with a melatonin gummy). The auditory hallucinations have vanished, his agitation is diminished, and somehow he has turned a corner and allows me to help him with dressing and toileting. He also started fosomax, and night-time trips to the bathroom have diminished.

On the downside, his balance is worsening. 

With three times weekly bating assistance, once weekly nurse visits, and twice weekly caregiver visits (3 hours each) I am feeling well supported. 

We buried a portion of his mother’s ashes on Friday, and had our house filled with the love of family members. He got to see his sister, who he hasn’t seen for two years. He was exhausted, but happy. I couldn’t help bawling like a baby when he and his sister parted, knowing that this could be the last time they see one another.

I feel it is as good as it can be at present. I wish that for all of you.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lynne, I'm glad you finally have a little good news to report. You really needed something going your way. 

If his balance is worsening, please be careful. You could be holding his hand when he fell, and you would go down with him. That happened to me, and I normally would have no trouble holding her up. But it happened so fast, and I wasn't in position to stop her from falling. We both went down.

I'm also glad he enjoyed seeing his sister. Maybe you could try to get them together again before too long.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Lynne, I am heartened to hear that Zyprexa has been effective, I can imagine what a monumental relief for you, as well as relieving your DH from all the turmoil constantly whirling through his brain.  You have been amazing in how you have persisted on with such significant challenges and that is an understatement. 

As for the balance issues, that is a potential problem issue as Ed has mentioned.  At this point, he would probably fit criteria for P.T. as well as O.T. to come to the home and assess things and provide you with the best way to manage the balance and other issues; they do have ways and sometimes devices that can assist; it would be worth a visit or two to get things fixed in place as best as can be.  

Let us know how you are and how things are moving; sure will be thinking of you.

J.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My wife also takes zyprexa as part of her medical protocol and almost zero agitation, hallucinations are going away and just overall more cooperative mood. I am glad it is working for you too.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Great news, in deed! Take this opportunity to give yourself a break, too.

Too bad for me, Zyprexa didn't work for DH.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Lynn,  

So glad to hear Zyprexa is working! Could you share the dosage he is given. My dh takes 2.5 mg in the morning and does not appear to help him at all. He still gets agitated and paces and calls my name constantly. 

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Cherjer,

I am sorry it is not working. My husband takes two doses daily, 5mg each. I give him his first in the morning (with coffee as it makes him sleepy). He gets a second dose at about 8:00 pm. I used to give the second dose with dinner (and other meds) but he would wake up at night and get into all kinds of mischief.

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    That's wonderful news, Lynne. I'll be pushing the Psych docs to rethink the Haldol and give the Zyprexa a try if I don't see some positive change this week. He really needs some relief from that angry agitation and hallucinations.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lynne, That’s great news that you found a medication that is helping. Hopefully as he acclimates to the medication his balance issues will decrease.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So good to hear you had a good day Lynne.   Those are what keep us going.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Lynne, it also worked for my partner. It was the most effective treatment.

Hope it will help for a long time

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lynne that is so good to hear, we had to readjust my dw to a 7.5 at night. So it's 17.5 total. Her behaviours started coming back at 15. She gets very emotional and cries and asks if she can come home. It is hard when she realizes she is locked in. She still packs her stuff every dayif she can get to it. They have a wardrobe that has a sliding lock. I tell her her stuff is safe and it calms her. She doesn't  exit seek which is a blessing.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Thank you Lynn. It may be that DH needs a larger dose as he is a big guy (not heavy at all but 6'2").  I really wish it would work for him!!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lynne, so very happy for you and your dh. It’s like a celebration when you finally get something that helps and actually works. Praying it will continue. Take some time for yourself now! Thank you for sharing your great news!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more