Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW Trip to ER & Her Ex’s Passing

Joe C.
Joe C. Member Posts: 944
Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

As I have posted previously my stepdaughter is an only child that has a mother with Alzheimer’s and a father with vascular dementia. Over this journey my stepdaughter & I have work together to support each other and provide the best care possible for both her parents. Last November when placement for her father became inevitable and DW’s placement was at hand, we jointly made a decision that we would placed DW and her Ex in the same MC facility on the same day. This may sound strange to some but given the situation we had been functioning more like a single family unit in recent years.

Saturday was a rough day for our little Modern Family! I got a call Saturday morning DW had a fall and there was concern that she may have broken a hip. I approved transport to the ER and met her there. She was in some pain and favoring her left hip area but after X-rays and a CT scan it was determined to be a S3 sacral fracture, not much that can be done for that injury except pain management. Fortunately she has responded extremely well to Tylenol for the pain and I was able to get her back to the MC after a one night stay in the hospital. Actually by the time she was released she was moving as well as she did before the fall.

While this was going on, her Ex who has been declining in recent weeks went in to a very fast downward spiral and passed late Saturday evening. I feel so bad for my stepdaughter, to much to deal with all at once!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Joe, that is a lot to happen so fast. I'm sorry. I know you've posted before how you and your wife's daughter worked together, and that is a great (and rather rare) thing for both of you. You are both lucky to have each other. That's the way the world should work. Prayers coming so life will be as easy as possible for everyone concerned.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Joe prayers for your stepdaughter. That young lady has definitely been through a lot. I’m glad she has you for comfort. Condolences to her on the passing of her dad. Glad to hear your wife is doing okay from her fall. Caring mixed families is truly an amazing thing, it’s the way life should be!
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I'm glad your wife is ok and prayers for your stepdaughter
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    What an ordeal you have all been through, Joe—especially your stepdaughter, but you as well.  I am glad your DW is recovering from her fall.
    I am also close with my DW’s children, and similarly they have had to deal not only with their mother’s AD but also their father’s dementia.   He suffered for more than ten years before passing away a couple of years ago.  I feel deeply for these ‘kids’ who have gotten a double whammy.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Tragic.  That's what this is.  Wishing you and your step-daughter many blessings.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    SSorry it was a tough weekend Joe and condolences to your stepdaughter especially. Glad your wife doesn't seem to be in much pain, hope that continues. Those sacral and pelvic fractures can be insidious.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I’m sorry for your step-daughter’s,and by extension,  your loss. I’m glad your wife’s injuries, while painful, haven’t decreased her mobility.  It seems like dementia is everywhere these days and more and more of us are dealing with multiple people having it at the sane time

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more