Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Personality traits prior to being diagnosed

CD5
CD5 Member Posts: 15
10 Comments

Hi. I’m new here and this is my first post.  DH was diagnosed about 2 years ago.  He is in early stage Alzheimer’s, possibly transitioning to mid stage. Some days he seems almost normal, others, he is more repetitive and confused. He is 79 and retired from a long career where he had so many other working and doing things for him I really don’t know what problems he has due to Alzheimer’s or resulting from his prior dependence on others.  Does anyone have a LO with similar personality traits?  All of the questions to suggest a stage he is in, ask about things he has never done (cooking, cleaning, shopping, paying bills) so he couldn’t do them anyway.  I’m worried his decline will be more rapid because of his history.  Suggestions or thoughts are very welcomed.  I’m a bit lost.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Standard answer

"when you've seen one Alzheimer's patient you've seen one Alzheimer's  patient"

With this disease ANYTHING   is possible and everything is normal.

My wife was a lifelong photographer. She could still take wonderful pictures but had forgotten how to turn the camera on

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

This disease is a taker and for our LO it keeps on taking. All the things they used to do keeps going away. It is the nature of this disease. 

Welcome to our site which none of us ever wanted to have to be here.  But we all help others with our caregiving. We answer questions we give advice and remember that ones giving it have been or going thru what you are experiencing.  You say you are lost, we all were until we got here. 

Start reading all the posts, there is a lot of information and help here.  Hoot

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Welcome CD5. That feeling lost is something I have felt,even though I had Alzheimers training 12 years ago. It wasn't till dw couldn't  remember me and other behaviors kicked in, when I started having to consider placing, then I really felt lost. One step at a time. 

Stewart

• CD5
    CD5 Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments
    Thank you everyone for the feedback and making me feel welcome.  I guess I’ll settle in for a bit, this looks like it will be a long bumpy ride. Wishing you all the best.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more