Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hitting the dog

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My sweet pup, Bob,  has an issue with his back that causes him to yelp when he poops. Last night DH screamed at Bob while he was pooping. DH then started yelling at me for not helping Bob. An hour later DH came to bed, yelled at me, Bob growled in response. DH hit Bob.

Lately when DH gets mad he actually growls as well. 

I locked myself and Bob in the guest bedroom for the night.

I know DH loves Bob but now I’m so worried. Do I need to find another home for my 12 year old 12 lb baby? 

DH does not treat are other dog this way.

Comments

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Oh I’m so sorry for all three of you ELCY.  In this post though, I’m going to speak for the dog, because I’m a veterinarian.  To answer your question directly, yes you should try to find another home for the dog, at least until your husband’s aggression is under control.  That will allow you to focus on your own safety and getting your husband treated.  Also, since your old dog is in pain, it needs medical care and pain relief.  If you can’t treat it, then I would consider humane euthanasia.  For now, please keep it in a room away from your husband and keep yourself safe too.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Just a reminder...any abrupt cnage in behavior warrants a check for UTI.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I second the suggestion of testing for UTI. If you have it done, please ask for a culture with it.

If there is not a UTI, it's possible that other medications would help with the aggression. 

I would not place the dog until other options have been tried. You will also have to keep in mind that if you do place the dog, how will your husband act? Would he blame you for getting rid of the dog, then become physically aggressive with you? So many things to think about.

• JudyMorrowMaloney
    JudyMorrowMaloney Member Posts: 74
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I have a cat and I love him to the moon and back.  If my DH every hit him, DH would be taking a one way trip to the nursing home!
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ditto MaryG.

A 12 lb sick dog is defenseless.

Iris

• Lhuerta
    Lhuerta Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I have to share my story.  We have always had pets in the home and have loved them.  The most recent pet was a wonderful, social, loving cat that sat on my lap every morning while reading the paper.  My husband developed an irritation with the cat that increased to the point where he wanted to kill him.  It was horrible.  I whisked the cat away to the humane society, as I didn't have any family or friends to turn to.  They were able to re-home him pretty quickly and I am thankful that he has a new home.  And, I'm relieved at home.  Not worrying constantly where the cat is and what my husband is doing to try to find him and hurt him.  I wouldn't have never believed in a million years that my husband would do this.  But that's the awful part of this disease.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    EICY, I’m sorry. A UTI could be the problem. You said he doesn’t hit other dogs, do you have other dogs? Bob is so cute! Hope this is truly a one time thing. You said he loves Bob and he may not even remember hurting Bob. I would not get rid of Bob right away because you need him too.
  • ElCy
    Thank you everyone for your responses. We have two dogs, Abby is bonded to Dennis. Bob to me. No UTI. I’m mostly concerned about what happens when I’m at work as I still work full time. I’m going to try bringing Bob to work with me but he can be very rambunctious so I don’t know how well that will work.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Do we know why Bob has the problem with pain when he poops?  Is there any treatment for it?

I'm asking aside from the problem with your husband - I think no matter what, you will probably need to look at finding another home for Bob.

As someone who just made the very hard decision to euthanize my beloved little poodle last week, on his last day he was crying/yelping at times and my need for him to not suffer exceeded my need for him to stay with me.  I view it as a kind and loving choice I made for him.

I think a conversation with your vet needs to occur regarding whether there is something that would help Bob not to have pain when he poops.  An injection, a change in diet, something.  Or, what is Bob's honest quality of life when a daily (sometimes multiple times daily) normal bodily function is causing him pain? 

So that's Bob.  As far as your husband, PWD don't do something until they do.  If he's hitting one dog, it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to hit the other.  I'd seriously consider rehoming both no matter what happens.

Or, if rehoming the dogs is something you just can't do, then you'd be looking at finding placement for your husband.  One way or another he and animals cannot be together anymore.
  • ElCy
    Bob is under the care of a vet. He recently had his anal glands removed after a long process of trying to get infections under control. We were hoping that would solve his issues. He also has a problem with his spine and we are waiting for an appointment with the neurologist. He seems to be only in pain when he poops. Otherwise, he is playful and happy.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    We have a few doggie daycare places around the area where working people can take their pets. Or how about a daily respite care place for your husband? If he’s doing things like this it may not be safe for him to be alone all day anymore.  Bob may be too fragile to be with a bunch of other dogs, but do you have any friends nearby that might consider watching him when you’re at work? Leaving him with your husband when you’re away all day isn’t safe. Losing your husband piece by piece to this disease is overwhelming in itself. You should’t have to lose your beloved pets as well. There must be a way.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more