Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The journey start

Im pretty sure my DH has the beginning of dementia. He no longer makes coffee like he used to, says he doesn't think he can do it. He asks what day it is so he can take his meds. He doesn't do hardly any chores like he used to. Our Dr of 25 years retired and did say dementia is starting. We have blood work today and he doesn't know why he has to wash his face to get ready. It's hard and I'm trying my best to be patient.just wanted to say things to those who understand. DH is 87

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sally, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you need it. But it is a good one, and you will get a lot of help and understanding here. Members here have been in all stages of this disease, and they are willing to help.

A diagnosis will require several tests other than blood work. He might get to the point where he will not want to see a doctor anymore. If that happens, come here for advice and possible work arounds.

Other than doctor visits and tests, one of the first things you should do is to see a certified elder law attorney (CELA). Even if you don't think you have many assets, they will protect more than the cost of their services. You will also need DPOA (durable power of attorney), as well as financial and medical powers. This needs to be done before long, because if you don't do it soon, it is easy not to do it until it is too late. This needs to be done while he can still understand what he is signing. Many people tell their spouse that it is time for both of them to have papers ready, and you can have the attorney prepare papers for you to sign for someone other than him to be your POA. Again, if you have questions, come here for help and suggestions.

• Spanky77
    Spanky77 Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Hi Sally, I, too, am sorry for the reason you’re on this forum. My DH was diagnosed 2.5 years ago. I hope you’re able to find some rest somehow, and take one day at a time. Prayers for you.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sally welcome. Ed gave you some good advice. The wonderful people on here have been a life saver for me. I’ve learned so much from them, and I have to say it’s been more informative than our doctors or any of the books I have read. I hope you will come back as often as you can. The beginning stages are very hard because you never know what to expect. Some changes you will see are minor but others will have you questioning your own self. Read as many post from others as you can and you will find so much information.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Hi Sally and welcome.  There's a lot of wisdom among all the folks here and they are very willing to share it.  I'd just like to add that if you haven't done it already, you probably need to find a neurologist for your DH.  As the disease progresses and his condition worsens there are some meds that can help with behavior.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Hi Sally your in the right place here, there is so much to learn here from others that have been going thru this for years.  Please take their advice they know what they are talking about.

I learned more here than from the doctors, maybe I didn't ask the right questions.  Any problems with your Loved One people here most likely have had the same with theirs. The are not afraid to give very good advice.   If it worked for them there is a good possibility it will work for you and yours.

• CD5
    CD5 Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments
    Sally, welcome although I am sorry for the reason.  I too am new here and finding my way through this maze. People are so helpful.  Your husband sound similar to mine and around the same stage.  He is 79 and has been diagnosed for a couple years now. I just want to encourage you to engage here, I think it will be very helpful. I know I’m finding reading the posts here helps.  Good luck to you.
  • Sally56
    Sally56 Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Thank you all so much.  I welcome all suggestions and I will contact an Elder Attorney soon. I have an idea what Im in for since my Dad had dementia and talked with my sister/caregiver daily.  I have alot to say but time is short right now, I wanted to say a big thank you to those who welcomed me here.  I will be needing you all soon enough.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more