Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hurricane Ian bullseye update

My county was ground zero, much been on national news about the beaches and island destroyed. Our house —20 miles from beach—is near downtown FM;  has major roof damage, we lost a car and 2-story “garage” bldg. apartment. 

Our house is about 8 inches higher than most so no flood inside house, most neighbors lost their homes to water and wind both. We all expected wind, nobody expected water like that.  The first home flooding, and highest water,  since street was built around 1915. 

We staying with nearby fam who has some generator power. Our generator and thousands more lost to flood; gas and propane very hard to get now; propane cos. rationing what they do get. No power expected for a month best case. No internet, cell service very spotty. Water is bad/limited in many areas, we ok on that. Food is availabile, not great and not much. You take what you can find.  Credit card use is limited; most people got cash—but like us, did not expect to need cash for weeks for most things. 

Rx refills also limited/none; docs can’t operate and pharmacies supplies limited. Again, most stocked up but not for weeks and no refrigerator. Roads are mostly clear, but no lights— problem with multi-lanes.

DH is extremely confused and agitated; strange house, neighborhood, etc. He needs eyes-on 24/7, which is ok normally but a big issue when so many other repairs, clean-up, finding food etc etc. Must also be done. Fam is learning a lot about PWDs, but everyone is struggling is with everything else. We are so lucky, blessed in so many ways though; many are far worse.

What’s really needed is just muscle labor to clear out homes and roads. Workers are getting $200.00 per HOUR and still in demand. So many cannot afford that (businesses can, and in fact, many just people). But still so many retirees who can’t pay like that, and unable to do it themselves.

I have no idea where all the island residents will go. Hundreds beingvferried off islands by military and volunteers, but gas is a problem for volunteers. The islands lost bridges so no way to get anything. Reports of violence, looting there, but not on mainland.

Hospitals mostbARE running, with limits. ALs MCs I’ve heard about had damage but still operating. They have some generators and food—not great selection but food. They have generators for common areas and cooking. Not ok in normal times, but pretty good for this.

Sorry to be so long ( I think, different device and set-up) but maybe something here will help others in future disasters.

Ed you have fam in Cape Coral? They are saying weeks/months before widespread power restored. Hope they have generator. Some flooding there, very site-by-site, but big damage from wind and debris

Comments

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    I’m glad you’re okay RescueMom.  What a nightmare for you and the other affected residents, and so sad to see the wreckage.  We had no power for six weeks after H. Michael in 2018, and were reliant on the kindness of others for food, water, and fuel.  It’s hard to face each day and not be anxious and depressed, but you are strong and will get through this.  One day at a time.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    I know exactly what you all are up against.  You have my sympathy.  We went through Michael Cat 5, 4 years ago. I remember the horrors of it while dealing with my husband and Alzheimer's.  He was so confused. Our town's medical facilities have not fully recovered . Doctors near retirement didn't want to rebuild and quit. Other medical providers left town.  Housing shortages everywhere!  The constant sounds of chain saws and roofers everywhere for months on end. There were 8 foot piles of trash in front of  all the houses for months. It  looked like a war zone but I am sure you know what I am talking about.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you for the report. It is impossible to imagine. Also impossible to comprehend recovery.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

RM, I' so sorry you are going through this. It's awful, even without a PWD. 

Yes, my g-gaughter and family are in Cape Coral. They are doing OK. Most of their neighborhood was badly flooded. Their house was damaged, but not severely. Some water in the house, but not bad. Her husband went to Lowe's, and found they had some generators, so they got one. The last I heard, getting gasoline was a real problem. G-daughter waited in line for about three hours for gas, but they ran out before she was able to get any. They had motorcycles, so they siphoned gas from them. That is probably gone now. A neighbor has a generator, and he had a cooler full of ice for his beer. He emptied his beer, and gave them the ice to keep their food from spoiling. So with help from others, they will make it.

If I were a little younger, I'd be there to help where I could. And they could keep their two hundred dollars an hour, I'd help people who really need it. I hope things work out well for you.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nice to hear from you, please keep us updated on how you are doing.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Rescue Mom, I can’t even imagine how much more challenging this is for caregivers. I hope you can continue to manage in these difficult circumstances.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more