Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New retirement part 2

Thank you for all your thoughtful replies. To answer a few questions- we have been married 15 years with 2 children each. I have 2 girls in early 30's w/ babies, he has 1 girl early 30's with baby and 1 boy 29.  We have always kept our finances separate and also have newly minted separate Wills and Trusts. I own the home we live in before marriage and have kept is separate in my own Trust. I feel like I have the financial concerns secure. I am his DPOA now and will take over his bill paying once I retire and have days to spend going through his records!!! 

DH has no one else to care for him. The writing is on the wall w/ his 2 kids. I expect nothing from either one of them even though daughter lives 2 miles away from us. Son lives out of state. I get a lot of love and support from my 2 daughters and sons in law as well as my family and friends. 

The one comment that hit my heart is if I was told by a friend that they saw DH and he looked badly how would I feel. I know I am in this for the long haul- whatever that may be... I have turned a corner in my acceptance. I think I am past anger (today) and edging toward acceptance. I know that everyone "has something" they have to deal with and I guess this uninvited guest of dementia is mine.  

Thank you for listening dear people. 

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Julie thank you for sharing your update. Remember to be kind to yourself during this time. Congratulations on the little grand-babies. Mine are getting bigger but are still so much fun. I have 2 granddaughter’s one is 12 and the other is 15, they grow so fast! They are both so patient with papaw. 

Julie you are apart of this virtual family of caregivers so come back anytime, ask questions, get/give answers. Vent or what ever, we all help each other..  the excepting part is hard and none of us wants to have to do but it’s the only way we can survive! 

• Julie RN 1010
    Julie RN 1010 Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

Thank you Joydean for your welcoming. The people on this platform get it and have helped me so much already. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Julie, I think you have your head on straight. You'll be fine. You know where to find help and compassion. Visit frequently.
  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Julie, many many many times after crying or feeling alone, I log on to the message boards to redirect my running thoughts and it always helps me refocus.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Julie

I'm glad for both you and your DH, gives me that good feeling when  things change for the good of others. I'll keep both of you in my prayers.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more