Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mobility

I never see mobility issues discussed anywhere I search. All I see is the mental aspect. Prior to her falling and breaking her hip, she had balance issues and cognitive problems as well. After hip replacement surgery her cognitive state immediately got much worse and she hasn''t been able to walk or get up alone since. I was hoping it was an after effect of the anesthesia and that she would improve when it wore off. I''ve heard that anesthesia can cause weird things to happen, but it hasn''t gotten any better, only worse. I''m wondering if anyone else has a loved one with mobility issues as well as mental decline?? Her memory actually isn't too bad but she can't get up or go the the bathroom alone.  

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    JTony welcome . I don’t have any personal information to offer for you. Just wanted to welcome you. There are several others on here that have discussed the same issues you are talking about. I’m sure they will come on later on. This group has either been down that road or are going through it now. Lots of knowledge and experience to share. They have helped me in so many ways. Read as many threads as you can.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi JTony, and welcome. Yes, my wife had (now deceased) balance issues. That is really difficult to deal with. As much as I tried to stay with her to keep her from falling, it was not in the cards. She still fell several times. You just can't be next to them every second. She had Meniere's disease, but that's not likely your wife's problem. Has your wife been assessed by an ear, nose and throat doctor? Balance issues seem to stem from the inner ear, but it could also be caused from other things.
  • marier
    marier Member Posts: 58
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

My DH developed a mobility issue during and after a hospital stay of 8 days.  He was walking without issues prior to being in the hospital however he would not walk during his stay and when he got home he was not ambulatory for about 5 days.  

He did return to baseline walking but unsteady on his feet.  He now requires assistance getting into and out of bed as well as getting up from a sitting position.  He has fallen a couple of times in the house or it's more like he just sits down on the floor and states he is unable to get up. 

I stay with him when he is up to try to prevent falls however it is impossible to be with him every minute of the day.  

One thing that has helped is that I give him ant-inflm. meds in the morning and in the evening because he often complains of aches/pains when getting up or down and walking.  

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    No personal experience here, but is your wife eligible for physical therapy since she just had the surgery? If so, perhaps her doctor could order it for her.
  • Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH has a diagnosis of Major Neurocognitive Disorder, stemming from treatment 25 years ago for a malignant brain tumor.  Surgery location (right frontal lobe) and the brain radiation he received are the likely causes of his current condition.  Initial changes were in the cognitive realm, mostly impaired executive function.   In the past seven years the neurological damages began to show up, all in his lower body.  A year ago he was walking with a cane, today he is wheelchair dependent.  He has had PT and it is helpful in learning safer ways to move and do transfers, but cannot turn back the clock.  Falls are a part of our lives at this point and are usually a slide from the side of the bed to the floor.  Due to his executive function deficits, he either can’t remember he can no longer walk, or he cannot make the reasoning leap needed to understand the consequence of trying to stand & walk.  He has had urinary incontinence for the past year and a half, and is now starting to have issues with fecal incontinence.  

I can deal with the incontinence…clean-up can be a bit unpleasant but it can be dealt with.  But the movement impairment really worries me, because I need to be able to move him around in order to take care of him.  Right now he is still weight bearing, and can do transfers with my help, so his neurologist has written a prescription for a Sit to Stand machine.  I am pursuing that at this time ( having problems finding an in-network vendor).  But even as I am doing this I am wondering if I should instead go straight to a Hoyer lift, since his ability to bear weight will probably continue to decline. I would love to hear from others who have had experience with Sit to Stand machines, and / or Hoyer lifts.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    How long ago was the surgery and how much PT followed? What was she able to do at the end of the PT???

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more