Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Frontotemporal Dementia Resource

While researching FTD, I came across this helpful resource.  My husband has MCI due to probable chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), with damage to the frontal and temporal lobes.  I wonder how many PWD diagnosed with FTD also have a history of head trauma.

https://www.theaftd.org/what-is-ftd/faqs/

Comments

• CaringMate
    CaringMate Member Posts: 28
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes
    It is my understanding that previous head trauma and FTD go hand in hand. My LO had two incidents in his childhood that resulted in head trauma as well as a genetic link to dementia through his mother.  He suffered from FTD for over 20 years, but it was in the final 10 years that it became increasingly more apparent.  This condition went undiagnosed by his many doctors until I was able to write and record his symptoms and only then was the diagnosis of FTD made.  This is a particularly horrific form of dementia and goes mostly undiagnosed.  For the caregiver, it is even more difficult because the behaviors that are associated with FTD are more angry and aggressive than other forms of dementia.  Because this variant of dementia is considered rare compared to Alzheimer's, most physicians are unaware and unprepared to deal with it.  That was my experience until I was able to find a doctor who was willing to take the time and effort to understand the manifestations of the disease.  So yes, head trauma is considered a contributing factor.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    That makes sense Caringmate.  I’ve read that those with a history of head trauma are three times more likely to develop frontotemporal dementia than the general population.
  • michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Thank you so much for posting this, My DH has had issues for about 5 years. He refuses testing and I have not pushed. From all my reading his symptoms fit FTD. A light bulb came on when I read this. His story is so much like CaringMates. His mom had dementia. When he was a teenager he was hit in the head with a jack when it slipped. He was found wandering in a field by his house with no recollection how he got there. The jack struck him above his left eye. He spent almost a week in the hospital. I was dating him then and remember both eyes were black and blue. He is 75 now. Nothing will change the reality of what is now but I have a better understanding of maybe why. I will never know for sure but it sure seems possible the hit to his forehead damaged his frontal lobe,
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    You’re right Michiganpat, nothing will change the reality of now.   My DH wanted to pursue a diagnosis, even knowing that it won’t change anything.  I’m sorry that your husband had brain damage too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more