Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Disappointed in myself on a daily basis

Hello, fellow travelers. New poster here, though I have been reading for months. DH DXed 6/21, and I have been struggling since then with something that does not come naturally to me: patience. I know how important it is, and every day I wake up vowing to do better. And almost every day I have lost it by 11 a.m. It does not help, I think, that I never had children -- not in this marriage, not in the two that came before. So my question for those with much more experience than me is, how do you find the reserves to get better at this? DH is my forever husband -- we met later in life, and have been married for 26 years. I always joked that I just kept throwing them back until I found a good one. Now my brilliant, funny, congenial husband often seems more like a precocious eight-year-old, and we are only in the mild-sliding-into-moderate stage. Any suggestions or resources to help me be more patient would be deeply appreciated.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    First, welcome to the forum. Glad you finally posted. It doesn't sound like you have totally accepted the diagnosis. When you do that, you will be able to see things from his perspective, and that will help.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Tigersmom,

I too have not had children and have little to no patience.  I found that reading the discussions on this forum has given me more patience, as I now accept that he is unable to make decisions or take initiative because his brain is damaged.  It truly is not intentional.  That being said, I’m grouchy much of the time, and have to fake smile and make up excuses, apologize for sharp words, and tell him I love him when I’m not really feeling it.  We are grieving.  Have you read this article, attached?  I found it very helpful.  You can find the strength to do this, and one last bit of advice from this awesome group, try to focus on what you can still do together, for as long as possible.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Please remember that you are human.  Also that most of us here don’t have infinite patience either.  There are lots of posts that echo yours if you look back far enough.   All you can do is try to remember how you want to behave, and take a deep breath before you respond to him.  Walk away when you can to another room.   If he takes naps, then rest and relax.   That is what new parents are told to do.  Because 24/7 is a lot.

Also remember that this is your journey - not your friends who tell you that you have to keep him at home.   Not all of us are able to be full time caregivers.  There us no shame on holding g up your hand and asking for a time out. 

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Welcome Tigersmom, excepting the diagnosis is understanding that this disease is taking your dh from you. It takes and keeps on taking from him and from you. Patience is hard at times, for me it was because he still looks the same and sometimes even acts the same, but only for a few seconds. It’s not like any other disease. We are all human and we will make mistakes. Just do the best you can and be kind to yourself. The early stage is an adjustment for you both. He knows something is not quite right but doesn’t know how to fix it, and yes I believe they are scared too. As MaryG said this is the time to do all the things you both can do together. Enjoy your time together while you still can.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,766
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I believe that patience and expectations are closely related. I found that lowering my expectations really increased my "patience."

Another componant is flexibility and a key to that is simplification. Many days I had to keep telling myself nothing much is going to "get done" today so relax and enjoy. 

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you, Mary! Your description made me smile in recognition. I'm grouchy, too, some days. I have indeed read the attachment you suggested; I found it on this board pretty early and sent a copy to his sister (talk about someone who hasn't accepted the diagnosis) and to both of my sisters. I will read it again; sounds like I need a refresher course. Quilting, thank you for your advice. Waiting before speaking does not come naturally to me, but it is good to remember. I can work on that. And Joydean, you hit the nail on the head. He still looks so much like my husband, but he acts so differently already that sometimes I look at him and wonder, "What have you done with my husband?"  It does not help that he has anasognosia (had to look that one up and learn). He thinks there's nothing wrong with him but that he's older and forgets things sometime. Can't tell you how much I wish that that was the case, but I've read every word of his PET MRI report and I know that it is not. Thank you all for welcoming me. Until now, I have tried to muddle through with support from my long-distance family, but I think it's true that no one understands what it's like to care for someone with this disease unless they have walked in these shoes.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • tigersmom
    MaggieMae, thank you for this helpful and eloquent reply. It is such good and practical advice! I will try to keep my tone pleasant, no matter what. Our experience sounds similar -- for more than a year, he has asked me multiple times a day where the cats are, and it drives me crazy. They are  indoor cats; where are they going to go? I am striving for a short, simple answer, sweetly delivered; "Don't know. Go look!" And you are right -- he is still in there. And I still love him to pieces.
  • tigersmom
    Victoria, you are so right. These are really wise words. I hope I can find my way to a similar place. Some days it feels like I don't know who I am anymore. I am a stranger in a strange land.
  • bigfoot2you
    bigfoot2you Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I struggle with this each and every day.........no matter how many times you speak it goes right out the window.........hard to swallow for sure
  • PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

My DH is early stages as well, possibly moving into stage 4. I've found I'm using a lot of the skills I learned when my kids were young. 

1. Never ask a question if "no" is not an option. For example do not ask if they want lunch, ask if they want water or juice to drink. Don't ask if they want to put on their shoes before you go out, ask if they want to put on the left shoe first or the right.

2. Try to say yes instead of no. If there is not a safety issue try to say yes, or reframe the request in a way that yes is possible. Example - they want to go for ice cream but you need to go to an appointment (or wait for a plumber, get some work done etc). Reframe it to asking if they would like a cone or a dish after the appointment. The next time they ask (probably 10 minutes later) you can answer that yes, you will go for an ice cream cone after the appointment.

3. Don't ask open ended questions. Ask if they want to wear the blue shirt or the red shirt, not what do they want to wear. 

A big caveat: even with all of this taming some of my frustrations there were still really hard days, and days where I yelled. I don't think anything makes all the frustration go away.

Be gentle with yourself.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I had to learn that my attitude was the problem, Maggie you said it well,you all said it well. I am greatful for everything I learn on here, even though I have placed my dw I still need a refresher. Some of you have it so much harder than I did.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The day the neuropsychologist gave us his report, with a name for the disease - and was the first doctor willing to finally say the words out loud - was hard, but was a blessing for me. It was then I really and thoroughly, was able to finally get a handle on what it means to "separate the disease from the person." It was like turning a switch in my case. Ah yes, now it all made sense and I could stop second guessing myself.

I thought I knew all about that idea, had heard of it a long time before, "separate the person from the disease," etc., etc. But to truly put it into regular practice and use it as a tool took some time to hone and make it mine. When the doctor acknowledged out loud and shared his report with the other doctors, "Yes, dh has this disease," it was the affirmation and validation I needed to move deeper into acceptance of the strange reality we'd been living.

I came to also realize that it is true with anything (for me) ... if you mentally separate the behavior from the human being ... it's easier. We are all human beings dealing with the human condition and I can have empathy for that. Does it have something to do with my own belief that we are all spiritual (not religious) beings having a human experience on this earth? Maybe so, but even when I just pretend it's true, it somehow helps me take a step back from taking his behavior personally.

Hang in there. It's not easy, but it can get easier. Eventually one begins to find and cultivate tools that are helpful. I can only do it with the help of others as we share our experience, strength, and hope with each other along the way. We shine lights for each other in the darkness, taking turns doing it when we can.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Sadly, I lost my temper today...definitely not proud of myself, but it was a much needed release of steam. Nowadays, yelling doesn't seem to have any effect on DH. He ignores my screaming and yelling, remains stoic and just keeps on looping. He's in a different zone for sure. The looping was what drove me to the brink of madness. I have to find a new way to get through to him.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I often say I've become a Stepford Wife....and that is sooooooo not me!  But in the long run it helps things remain calm.  I found it interesting that you stated that you will tell him that you love him, that is something I find I just can't do anymore.  I do not "love" the man that I live with that has Alzheimer's, he may look like my husband, but that is about it.  I do love him and will always love him, but not in the same way as I used to.  I feel like separating myself in that way allows me to look at the situation differently.  I can be a caretaker for this person, have little expectations of him, and continue to watch the steady decline because I don't view him as a partner any more. I wrote on the message boards over a year ago about a discussion I had with my therapist on how I deal with this.  I try to think of everything in 3 stages. Before Alzheimer's, now, and after Alzheimer's.  If I compartmentalize things like that, I can better cope with the problems of today.  If I allow myself to consider my married life as a whole, then I bring feelings from the past into what I am dealing with today.

I hope this helps.  

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Tigersmom, welcome. My first piece of advice is please don’t beat yourself up. My husband, who was diagnosed with AD in 2015, is frequently irritable and vulgar He can become belligerent,although Seroquel has helped there. He’s in a facility now after suffering a stroke but I can tell you that my self control was never tested as intensely as it was when he was on a tirade. And there were times when I flunked that test. Knowing that it’s the disease talking can be useless when you’ve heard the same remark 20 times or you’re the recipient of some horrible  words. We are only human and words matter. So, yes, I lost my temper at times.

I have children, grandchildren, and now a great grandchild but I don’t think my skills as a parent were particularly effective with my husband. The only exception was at the supermarket, where he wandered like a toddler and filled the basket with sweet and salty junk food. I was able to use my parental experience to tell him no.

The lesson I’ve learned is try to be patient with your spouse but also be patient with yourself. Over time you develop strategies for dealing with specific problems but there will never be perfection. The only sure thing is that he will get worse so your skill-building and, most important, acceptance can help get you through.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks tigermom for starting this thread, I am sure others have said these same things but hearing others and how they deal with so much helps me out. 

Dio hang in there. We all loose it, the looping can be hard to keep to hearing. When someone visits my dw they learn the loop and can do it for 1/2 hour, but they leave and escape it. 24/7/365 folks have to learn to deal differently cause they don't get to leave. I know my dw is now in mc, but for years I just repeated the same answers again and again. Now dw says every day daja vu, it's ground hog day and it is!

Connie thanks for sharing that. 

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

The moderator of the Alzheimer's caregivers support group I attend posed a question recently: "What do you think you could be doing differently or better to support and care for your loved one".

Now that my wife is in MC and I have the clarity of hindsight, I answered that I realize now I did so many things wrong.  My mistakes were the result of frustration, lack of patience and not being able to understand or accept what was happening to her.

She has been in MC for 5 months and I miss her constantly. But I know we are both in a better place now.

• tigersmom
    Dio, so sorry to hear this. Please try to take the advice all the kind people here gave me and be gentle with yourself. I think what we are doing is about the hardest thing a person can do. I know it is for me. You are somewhat fortunate that when it happens, it doesn't seem to bother your DH that much. Mixed blessing, I know. I have to try to keep my temper because it does bother mine -- he gets scared, or shuts down, and sometimes even cries when I lose it. That is the worst. Wishing you a calmer, better day today.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

The only thing that we can control during this journey is our own attitude and our own behavior.  Check out this very good video by dementia educator Pat Snyder on this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcx5L7Fw6WQ

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

IDK, patience isn't something you can't turn on and persay. It comes with time and a lot of time. I'm the most impatient person I know and in the early days it was an impossible task I was facing and patience for me seemed so difficult to have. I'm into it now about 4 years and although I'm still an impatient person, I am much more patient now with my wife. It takes a lot of time and I still have a long way to go but I try not to think too far ahead, just one day at a time

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I was looking at old posts today and found this one. Very useful advice in here. Thank you.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Been feeling so fatigued and all I want to do is rest but my DW will not leave me alone for 5 minutes. She is somehow triggered if I want to lay down or take a nap. Patience is so terribly hard to have when the "pestering" never stops. If I get even the slightest bit frustrated it triggers a meltdown for her until I yell at her. I want to say so many things like "Just shut the hll up for a few minutes!!" but that just makes me feel bad as well and as someone also stated she has not idea why I'm snapping at her and starts crying, begging me not to be mad at her, then I feel horrible. The cycle never ends and they have no idea from one minute to the next why we are responding the way we do and they also have no realization that they are driving us crazy and there's not a dmn thing we can do about it but accept it.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Tigersmom,

I think we should have a contest for the most impatient person on our forum. I think I might have won it about a year ago. You are going through a traumatic experience where you are losing your DH, the life you hoped to have and your freedom. I think there is more to our impatience than just annoyance at repetitious questions or lack of cooperation. It is the overwhelming loss, daily grind, fear and feelings of hopelessness that build up and make us less able to cope. Our society has normalized anger as the primary emotion we go to when we are frustrated, disappointed etc. when, in fact, there is a repertoire of emotions we experience. I am learning to dissect what I am really feeling, which is usually sadness or tiredness and then I can control my words and actions better. It helps me separate my DH's behaviors from my reactions.

For me, I pray alot. It helps and I don't feel alone. Please be patient with yourself. Love yourself. You will be ok. This is a journey and we are all walking on it together.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

There are type A personalities. Before this I was a type AA personality. Zero patience. After 3 years of watching my wife fade away a little every day patience is forced on me. It is amazing how adaptable our brains are. I really, really don't like the person I become when I lose my patience. I borrow from anger management, know your triggers and have a plan to not lose it when triggered. It is a constant work in progress and I still slip now and again but every time I do it is a warning not to let it happen again. I imagine long after she is gone watching a video of me losing it while she has no idea why and how bad that would feel. I think about that ever time I have to interact with her.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Just Bill, we are hard on ourselves. I know i am, daily. We are as human as our LOs are and we can give ourselves some grace, just as we give them. That’s what i keep telling myself 😊

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

We all lose it. I did today. Had a nice time out at the grocery store.My husband grabbed two bags from the trunk and marched to the back door. He has balance problems and knows he must carry only one bag and keep a hand free so he can navigate the stairs (as do I). When I reminded him, he persisted. I yelled at him to put a bag down. (I only raise my voice in dangerous situations). He threw both bags into the bushes and stormed into the house. He is still furious at me. “He knows what he can do. I ruined his feeling of strength, etc.” I know he will forget, but I am seething at his bullying me and at his anger. WE ALL LOSE IT. Forgive yourself.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more