Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I’m still so frustrated

I find myself still getting really frustrated with my husband who is only 46 and has dementia. I think I’m just mad in general. I have a 14 year old at home and now it seems as though I have two kids and no husband. But I feel so guilty for feeling this way.

Comments

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    NEVER FEEL GUILTY. You are in a difficult situation and all you can do is the best that you can. There is a lot of stress involved and it will get to you at times. I consider myself to be emotionally strong but every once in a while, I break down and let the tears flow. My wife is basically a 5-foot tall, 125 pound three-year-old whose mind keeps getting younger and whose abilities keep getting less and less. You can survive this. You are stronger than you realize.
  • mathteachermom
    mathteachermom Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Thank you. I really needed to hear that.
  • River48
    River48 Member Posts: 1
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    Sorry to hear.I am still mad and cry often and this week will be 4 years since he passed at 58.I keep thinking why and what if things were different.My husband was diagnosed with Concussive trauma and then a year later we were told it was FTD then ALZ then we don't know.He saw what was happening and ended his life.I was so mad but have come to realize it was his choice.His autopsy was inconclusive but suspected CTE.I hope you have family support.His family cut him loose as soon as he became ill so that was devastating for him.Don't be hard on yourself and take time for you.I have never been through anything so terrible.
  • Jude4037
    Jude4037 Member Posts: 39
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    We all feel guilt . It’s part of being a care giver I think.My husband passed 11 months ago and I look back and think maybe I could have done it better or that he would have done it better. I know in my heart I did the best job I could. My friends and family say how great I was dealing with it and in my head I know it’s true but my heart aches and so I feel guilty. In reality it’s probably just missing the person I married 55 yrs ago and who he was had left long before his body did. I started missing him years before he died.
  • brownn
    brownn Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    It's okay to feel angry sometimes. You shouldn't feel guilty. I was in the same situation with my husband. I even consulted with my psychologist and she assured me that it's a common reaction and I shouldn't feel guilty. She recommended I take some sedative meds from https://www.canadapharmacy.com/ that'll help me to feel better.
  • danapuppy
    danapuppy Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    "darn* it! I've answered that question 25 times and I still haven't made your breakfast yet." The frustration begins that early everyday. I hate myself when I lash out at her like that. And I seem to do it far too often. I hear all the advice that everyone generously shares. I appreciate it, really. But the anger still boils out. I pray for patience, I study scripture. I try to destress and find alone time. But I'm simply angry! The person I love is confused, depressed, anxious, sits in her house coat watching the same TV show trying to remember the characters' names, and so on. She doesn't want to go anywhere or do anything. She makes excuses to avoid her children and grandchildren. They have given up trying. She is lost. I can't fix her, our life together sucks now. Without God's miracle it only will get worse. So...I'm mad...I'm pissed...but not at her...she is just the only one around when my patience fails. God help me to be a better man!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more