Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Looping

i found out the name for the continuous questions that my husband torments erm asks me everyday. It is called looping, I looked it up online and it gave me some information. Apparently the dementia sufferer feels lost and insecure so they loop or say the same thing over and over. I called it the dripping tap syndrome because it drives me up the wall. 

So now I am more compassionate. I did some gorilla gardening today, it got me away from the erm Spanish Inquisition, Monty Python. It helped me deal, I realize I have to come up for air. Still am going to place him because I just can’t for much longer. I am exhausted. 

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Buggs, I'm so with you, exhausted. Unfortunately, my DH is not ready for placement at this time. He's still lucid on some days. I was just researching adult/dementia day care in my area and he freaked out. What stage is looping in? all stages? If so, for sure I'll die before he does.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Buggsroo thank you for sharing this information. I had no idea it had a name. After you shared this I looked up looping and learned a lot. There is just so much to learn and even try to understand,  I like your description dripping tap! Thanks!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I never heard the term "looping" either. And you nailed it with the dripping tap syndrome.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Yep it's looping. My dw has been doing it for at least a couple years. I just keep a straight face like I never heard it the first time. Not sure if it helps her, but she doesn't  get mad. Every now and then she realizes she has asked me and apologizes. I just say no worries. I have to say the frequency you may be experiencing is much greater and that certainly would be much harder to deal with. I have explained it to folks who visit dw in mcf that it's just like she never asked before. They all notice the LOOP.  Here we go loop de loop.

Buugs and everyone here praying for the help you need every day. 

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    My DH did this for a while starting in stages 4 and 5. Besides my learning to stay calm when he was doing it, I gave him some Post It notes and had him write down the answer to the loop question he was asking at the time. Then I would tell him to look at the note when he asked again. If the note wasn’t readily available, I asked him to write another one. This eventually warped into the Post It note extravaganza. The kitchen island, table, the end table next to the sofa where he usually sat, were all covered with Post It notes. The notes weren’t just the current looping question, but notes about everything he wanted to remember.  When he was in the hospital for a week getting his meds adjusted, I brought Post It notes to the hospital. The medications seemed to slow the behavior way down. It went on for many months after he came home but to a lesser extent. He eventually lost interest in the notes.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more