Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I hope this lasts

The meds my DW is on have her in a great mental space. She no longer gets extremely angry, she can get upset for a bit a but it goes away fast. She no longer hallucinates, she may see something now and again but knows it isn't real. She sleeps all night. I have been taking her to work and to golf and she is very cooperative and content. At work she stays in my office writing or playing on the computer, at golf she just sits in the cart absorbing nature. Very pleasant to be around. What a difference from 3 months ago, that was the most jarring emotional time I had ever experienced in my life. I thought I found a psychiatrist but he can only schedule new patients between 5 and 6 Tuesdays and Thursdays. I teach 4 nights a week from 6-8 and calling 15 people to cancel a zoom class because he is inflexible is a bad sign. Why not just tell me you are too busy and aren't accepting anyone new ? That took 2 months. Now to start the process again with the next one on the list further away. So far the neurologist has her on meds that are doing magic and is available to us quickly. The urgency for a psychiatrist has waned since we started looking for one. Anyway I hope she stays just like this for as long as possible, her personality has changed for the better and helps make full time care giving sustainable. Finding the right cocktail of meds has been essential for managing her care. If she gets another negative symptom I call the neurologist and we make an adjustment. When she passes I will look back on these times I am experiencing with her right now fondly as golden years. I hope they last as long as possible.

Comments

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Bill, I am so happy for you and your wife. What are the new meds which are making such a big difference?
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    That is great news, Bill. I am also curious on the new meds she is taking.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bill that’s wonderful news! So very happy for you and your wife. The right meds can definitely make life easier. Enjoy as much time with your wife as you can!
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Couldn’t be happier for you, Bill.   What a blessing to have, for however long it lasts, better living through chemistry.   Cherish the time, and I hope there’s lots of it.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bill, Great news that they found the medication regiment that is working for your wife.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

That is so good. Glad for you even if only for a while you get that time to enjoy some golden years, may it last.

Stewart

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's great news. I'm thrilled for both of you. Hope it lasts.
  • Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    Even small steps can add up to a long journey.  I hope things continue to go well for you.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    I’m so glad you’re getting a bit of a reprieve Just Bill.  I hope it lasts too.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    So good to hear! We need some good news to keep all of us going. Enjoy this period for sure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more