Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Arm Measurement

Today the palliative care nurse practitioner visited.   He does arm measurements since my husband is unable to stand and be on a scale.  

Does anyone know that a significant arm measurement drop is? The circumference of my husband's arm dropped from 37 cm to 34.5 cm in two months.  That equals to about an inch.  He is going to refer him to the access team for regular hospice since he isn't eating as much and is sleeping more.

Any thoughts on this.  I understand if you don't answer or know anything.

Judi

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    That's pretty significant in 2 months.
  • Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you for answering.  I thought it was a big drop too but wanted to hear opinions of others.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

That is indeed a significant change; the Palliative NP is right on spot referring to Hospice.  They will bring much needed services and equipment at no charge and best of all, will bring support not only for your husband, but also for you.

One thing I always wondered about arm measurements; what about the patients with "bat wing" upper arms that jiggle and what about possible fluid retention which can skew the measurement.

So hope that all of the RNs are on top of such instances; especially the fluid retention dynamic.

Let us know how it goes with Hospice; I so hope it is a blessng for both yourself and your dear husband.

J.

• Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you, Jo, for responding.  I know I don't post much, but I'm glad this forum is here for when I do.

I just talked to Hospice.  It's nice they are so receptive to helping.  They will be stopping by tomorrow to evaluate him around 1:00.  They have done this a few times, so I just hope he is accepted this time.   His NP indicated that, though this isn't the final stretch for him, my DH probably wouldn't live to next fall.  That's sad for me to think about, but with his not eating, sleeping more, and losing weight, it doesn't sound good.

Today I ordered a little 30 second recorder from Amazon.  I'm going to tape his voice so I don't forget how he sounds.

Judi

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Judi, it is good that Hospice will soon be with you to do an assessment and hope that all goes well with that this time around.  When a person is accepted into Hospice service, they are swift in their action to get everything in the house and in place to bring best service for all needs. 

Do know that not all Hospices are the same; some are far more beneficent than others and more accepting of admission to service and more. If this does not go the way it should, it is an option to call a different Hospice for assessment.  Some of our Members have done that and been successful.  Just an idea if needed.

You are a very dear and loving wife; so hope you have found just the right recorder to enable you to fulfill your wish to have your beloved husband's voice with you into the future.

Please do keep in touch and let us know how you are and how things are going; we truly do care.

With warmest of thoughts being sent your way along with a big hug,

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living