Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Those mean people

I have a living room camera and an Alexa echo device so all I need to do is an Echo Drop-in if I'm away for a little while. She doesn't have to worry about trying to answer a phone, I just speak to her directly through the echo. I can always tell something is up by the tone of her voice. She's been crying because "those"mean people" were laughing and ridiculing her. I believe it's just scenes on TV and she believes they are talking to her.

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Has she seen a doctor lately?  Is it possible she has a UTI?  This sounds more like hallucinations and if they are, I don't know that "dropping in" by Echo is doing anything to help her and it's possible it could be frightening to her.  If I were hearing people laughing at me, hearing my husband's voice coming out of thin air wouldn't be very comforting to me and possibly may make me think my husband is laughing at me too along with the others.

Does she have a geriatric psychiatrist?
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

She will see a neurologist in December. She's had multiple uti's. That's when I can't sleep but I have her on cranberry supplements and hopefully that will curb those. She sees people everywhere. She's been in denial from the get go. We are about 4 to five years in to it. 

Been to ER multiple times with UTI and I have to explain to the doctors every time that she has dementia and to explain everything to me. I have Durable POA as well as Medical POA. Hopefully the Neurologist will be able to tell us exactly where she's at. I think she is in stage six somewhere but can't say for sure.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    She is not "in denial."  She has anosognosia.  She has no capacity to understand she is impaired.  A neurologist generally will not help with hallucinations or delusions.  She needs to be seen by a geriatric psychiatrist, especially since she is distressed by these hallucinations she has.  Often it can take some time to find and see one, so I would start now to do that.

Anosognosia, also called "lack of insight," impairs a person's ability to understand and perceive his or her illness.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you! I will keep that in mind for sure!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Gh, have you tried a bidet? My wife had the same problem with recurring UTIs, and I put her on a cranberry supplement. That seemed to keep the UTIs at bay for just about a year, then she started getting them again. She became fecal incontinent, and I think that had a lot to do with it. I bought a bidet, and it wasn't the total answer, but coupled with the cranberry supplement, the UTIs were less frequent. It might be something to consider.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more