Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hospice Accepted My Husband

After my DH's evaluation yesterday, hospice accepted him as a patient.  The nurse said that his loss of weight, sleeping more, being tired after small activities, increased agitation, and choking at times were some of his contributing factors to his acceptance.  He does present well with strangers, so I was worried he'd have a good day.  

I will get a call sometime today to start the visitation process.  She mentioned something about a comfort kit.  Does anyone know, beside varied medicines, what is in it?  I remember her saying there would be medicine for nausea/vomiting, morphine, Ativan, but not any others.  

I'm looking forward to the CNA who will be able to shave him since I do such a horrible job.  It's nice to have a nurse to visit once to twice a week depending on what I need at the time  And then the volunteers who will sit with him 1-4 hours a day, so I can get out of the house.  

He will be evaluated again in 90 days.  I'm not thinking there will be an improvement. It will probably be stable or a decline.  

It's nice knowing I'll have help, but the reason for the help now is a bit sad.

Judi

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    It is sad Judi, but still very good that you'll have the help.  Hopefully will make life easier for both of you.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I understand it's sad, but I'm glad for you that he was accepted.  I wouldn't worry too much about the 90-day recertification.  Unless a miracle occurs and he suddenly starts gaining weight or dancing around, there should be no problem.

I'm not sure how much support you were getting from palliative care, but now there is  an aide along with a nurse who makes regular checks and equipment along with the comfort kit.

The comfort kit is for in case he begins choking on his own secretions (to dry them up), medication for anxiety and of course the morphine for agitation that can sometimes come with dying.

I hope you feel supported with hospice - it's hard to be alone with all of this.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Judi, I'm sorry it is so hard. But you will be glad that hospice is involved now. They can really make things easier for you.
  • Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you, M1, dayn2nite2, and Ed for responding.  It's nice to read responses from people.  

M1- I'm praying it's easier for me to.  I'm fighting my own little medical battles, so this should at least relieve the stress.

dayn2nite2 - Hospice palliative care was helpful, but I found I needed more.  Thus the new evaluation happened.  With the palliative care, I had a NP visit once a month to assess him.  But that did help in the fact he saw the changes I didn't see being with DH everyday.  Thanks for explaining the comfort kit.  Of all the problems we face, loneliness is the most difficult.

Ed - Thank you for the kind words.  I have followed your story since you joined.  You are an inspiration to many in how you have always supported and given good advice to others despite your own situation.  Be well and blessed.  BTW, I love your picture.  We had two German Shepherds-brother and sister; they were our furbabies.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I’m so glad for you that your Husband was excepted to Hospice. My husband has been on Hospice a year and 3 months. I think he declines just slow enough to  keep him renewed. They have been wonderful for us. There are things they can and can’t do, but once you get into a routine , it’s just great. My favorite thing is being able to talk to the nurse every week about his decline. Oh and the bathers are the best. Not every aide is the same, so if you find one who you don’t like, just ask for a different one.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more