Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What happens with bad behaviors

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
As I’m about to place DH in memory care I am so worried about “behaviors that can get him kicked out.” If he is overly sexual or aggressive and gets kicked out what happens next? Where can he go?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Probably back to a psych unit ElCy.  How are you both doing?  Glad to hear from you.

BTW that's probably an excellent question to ask his doctors now before he's discharged.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy wrote:
    If he is overly sexual or aggressive and gets kicked out what happens next? Where can he go?

Do you have reason to think that might happen, or are you just looking at possibilities? If the latter, you shouldn't be overly concerned about it now. Looking for problems before there are any is not going to do you any good. It only leads to more stress.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My husband was very active and taking his drawers and closet apart. He was also anxious about having to go to work. He didn’t want to go to bed at night. He began grabbing at other residents. I knew he wouldn’t be able to stay there with that behavior because he would have needed 1:1 care to control him. We discussed medication and after a week or so his behavior became more subdued. He was no longer anxious and his activity decreased. Some would say it is wrong to control someone with meds but I couldn’t afford to hire a sitter for him and staffing there certainly didn’t allow for it. If he were home I would have medicated him for it. I think as long as you let the MC know they can talk to you about medicating him if he is out of control you should be able to keep him there.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more