Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stressful days ahead.

My mom, 85 and is showing signs of dementia as well, will be moving back in with my DW and I in a week or two.

She doesn't know how to deal with my DW's dementia so it was very stressful the last time she lived with us, 6 months ago, and will be stressful this time as well but we'll get through it.

Comments

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    It sounds like you’re taking on a lot of responsibility ghphotog.  Will you have any help at home?  I wish for you abundant patience.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's an awful lot for one man. Could you get her to a doctor to eliminate any other possible causes for her symptoms? There are many conditions that can mimic dementia symptoms. Some very easily treated.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    As far as a doctor for my mom, I haven't had her checked for dementia yet. I'm having my wife see a neurologist in December.
    It's a lot for sure, my mom is a very discontented woman now so I don't know how dementia may affect her later. 
    Not much help from family, on either side, so it's all on me but I have good friends.
    I deal the best I can, but it's hard no doubt and I'm learning as I go.
    Learning to try and be more positive as well. That's a slow process!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    There are a lot of really good videos on youtube. Teepa Snow is one who is an excellent teacher, and she knows how to make the audience feel relaxed. Another very good one is Natalie Edmonds. If you search for her, search for "careblazers". You won't be wasting your time with either one of them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more