Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

E-Mails

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Not sure if this answers the question, but I think people just don't want to deal with any more spam than they have to. As long as you don't open any emails, I don't think there is a risk.

I don't mind if anyone knows I post here, but others value their privacy, and wouldn't want that.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    My email has my full name in it.  With that it would be easier to locate me on Facebook, etc.   I like the anonymity of using a screen name.  The truth is that we assume a lot about our fellow posters here, while really knowing nothing more about each other than what we post.  There is always a possibility of ‘cat fishing’.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    You can request to have private conversations with other in the forum, using the “Connections” button.
  • Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Over a year ago, another man posted that he would like to swap emails with someone about subjects other than Alzheimer's. I answered him and we have been corresponding ever since. Neither of us use our primary email but use a secondary one instead. While we write about many things other than Alzheimer's, we do compare notes on that, too. His wife is about a year or two behind mine on this downhill journey. I think it's been good for both of us.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

There sadly is a definite danger involved with this sort of dynamic and it is advised not to make such a showing of private email addresses. It is known that sites such as these are fair game for those looking to do harm. It is easy to impersonate or misrepresent oneself when online.   Remember; we not only have Members here, but we have scores and scores of "Lurkers" who come here to read but who never sign up under their avatar name.  Some of  these lurkers may well be looking for vulture opportunities.

If one wishes to make a private contact, then one can use the Connections option; if it is hard to figure out what to do, then just go to the Help prompt at the top of the screen to gain the specifics; it is simple.

One can choose to keep private conversations on Connections; or one can then choose to provide their private email account while on Connections. For myself, I never, ever provide my private email to anyone who I do not know.  So much electronic mischief and criminal activity  is rife and as said, this sort of site and others like it are considered targets by the amoral thieves and other such ilk.  Remember the ease of misrepresentation and impersonation.  Not good.

J.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments First Anniversary
  • Jo C.

Hi Cecil, if  you want to find your own prior Posts, you can go to the top of this page and click on, "You."  It will call up your own prior Posts.  When you get to the bottom of the page, you can click on the prompt to see more and then even older Posts will pop up on each page.

Hope that is helpful.

J.

• [Deleted User]
  • Jo C.

That is one of the issues re Connections.   If you delete the Connection to the other person if you are through with it, that person's Posts will no longer show up on your personal "You" site.

I do not Connect but rarely; I get a lot of requests from people who have never Posted at all, I do not accept such Connections; also, once a Connection communication is pretty much done I delete said Connection as I do not want all the other person's Posts to clog up my "You."

Sometimes a Member will desire a Connection so they can easily follow another Member's Posts; that too for me is a no go as once again, it really clogs up the "You."

J.

• [Deleted User]

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more