Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Automatic Stove Shut Off Device

Hi all,

My DH left the gas grill on all night, luckily, with no damage.  I’ve ordered an auto shut off timer for it.  While I’m at it, I’d like to get one for our electric range as well.  I’m seeing a CookStop advertised, that looks like what we need, but I can’t actually find it available anywhere.  I also see an Iguard Stove, that is internet enabled, so more complicated and expensive than we really need, but is available.  Does anyone have experience, pros and cons, for this kind of device?

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good idea, Mary.  I don't have any experience but someone who had invented one for cook stoves was on Shark Tank.  They didn't get a deal so may not be for sale.  I think it was for electric stoves, not sure.  I find a lot of things I see on that show for sale on Amazon.

If your stove is electric, could you take off the knob?  Goid luck.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Great ideas, thank you both!  I feel like I’m constantly behind the eight ball, as I can’t seem to get it through my thick head that things have changed.  Of course I should have checked the grill after he used it - duh.  Some days he’s his old self and then he’s not.  He was nearly in tears when he found out what he’d done.  Canary in the mine for sure.
  • Daughter of a Marine
    Daughter of a Marine Member Posts: 55
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    This is exactly where we find ourselves.  My DH was diagnosed with dementia about 10 yrs ago and I've noticed a significant decline since his back surgery a year ago when he was under anesthesia for 5 hours. Since then, he is much more confused and short term memory (I'm talking 10 minutes) is nonexistent. A few weeks ago, at about 4am, I found he'd left a gas burner turned on with gas pouring out.  I ordered those baby guards for the stove knobs but wrong size so still working on that. Seems every day brings something new I now need to oversee -  I never realized how difficult this would be.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

When I first joined these boards in 2009, my first interaction was a warning from wonderful caregivers who told me I should not be using the stove.  I didn't want to hear this, but I did comply, because I knew they were interested in my safety, and I was scared!  Mary, your DH should not have unsupervised access to the stove or anything that makes fire.  This means candles.  Yes, it is a warning sign.

Iris

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    He shouldn't be using the stove unsupervised. It's not just the forgetting, PWD sometimes "cook" using things like paper plates or dishtowels. 

Some folks remove the knobs and stow them somewhere else. Since it's electric, you could turn it off at the circuit breaker box.
  • Annen1014
    Annen1014 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments
    When I was caring for my mother and aunt, we simply cut the circuit when we were not with them. They were amazed by the magic stove that worked some of the time but not all of the time.
  • mblake27
    mblake27 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Please advise on the automatic timer shut off you purchased for the stove? I am doing some research.

Thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney